Cree/Seoul 12v ac/dc MR16 modules

ash_dac

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used mr16 led modules particularly the Cree / Seoul versions?

They require 12v ac or dc but unsure if this means the contain a driver unit. Same with 240v Led lights. The unit i have seen is spec'd at 3x1w cree (listed as Seoul p4 could be but seems odd to underpower), 270 lumen, 35 degree, 12v ac or dc.

Plan was to mount the mr16 into a tomato or pilchard tin can and feed it 12v dc from AA battery holder.

James Jackson

Newly Enlightened
I'm using three 5-Watt LED MR16 lights in my home. I got them about 2 years ago, so am not sure what brand LEDs are being used. (They have a single 5-Watt LED in them) I believe they claim about 150 lumens per LED 'bulb'.

I do not think they are using LED constant-current drivers in them.

What I believe that they did was to put a diode bridge circuit (to rectify any AC applications to DC), and a voltage dropping resistor of some sort in the base of the LED & MR16 socket.

What you are going to do sounds interesting - just be sure that the batteries that you're going to use can supply the current needed by the MR16 LED 'bulb'.

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics

ash_dac

Newly Enlightened
yeah like that but searching for 10 or 15 degree spot. An issue with the mr16 led i have viewed is that they are not waterproof.How did you waterproof ?

Plan was to use garden light or that pond light.