**Are all Arc LS 18 lumes?**

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I'm afraid 18 lumens is the worst you get get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it really depends on the led.

if you get a premium, you can get around 30lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The truth is that it varies from LED to LED. The premiums will be brighter than the standards. But since they vary so much, it's unrealistic to put an absolute number on them. If you bought 5 LS's they would all vary somewhat. So it's best to just get a few and try them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep the best of the best, as this_is_nascar does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Run times on current models are pretty consistent at 2 hours at full brightness.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There may not be an absolute lumens meansurement of a regular (non-premium) LS. But, considering that the premiums are Qs and the standard's are one step below that, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that you're going to get an absolute minimum of 21 lumens on the standard.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
The truth is that it varies from LED to LED. The premiums will be brighter than the standards. But since they vary so much, it's unrealistic to put an absolute number on them. If you bought 5 LS's they would all vary somewhat. So it's best to just get a few and try them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep the best of the best, as this_is_nascar does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Run times on current models are pretty consistent at 2 hours at full brightness.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How true, however it gets to be very expensive doing it that way. Purchase 6 of something, test and keep the best 2 of that lot, sell the remaining at a loss. Wait for the next new batch, buy 3 of them, keep the best 1 of that lot, sell the other 2 at a loss. Then test and keep the best of the best, keep the very best 2 or 3 of those, then sell the rest at a loss. It's a viscious circle. Then evenually, an entirely new lot/version comes out, you sell all the premo's of the best of the best that you kept (still at a loss) and start the process all over again.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
nascar: did the brightness of the premium LSHs you bought vary a lot or would it be something only a flashaholic could spot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
They really didn't vary much at all, certainly not enough to be seen by the eye. They were all pretty much the same brightness and tint and all of them ran for 2 hours and 5 minutes on a new SureFire 123-cell before stepping down into moon-mode.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, r's are way more than 30lumens...up to 51.7 according to the lumileds datasheet.

but they are next to non existant.

also, the ls runs at 330ma (i think...is that right?), and which is slightly underdriven from an average luxeon. the r's will also have a higher vf, so you may actually get more light out of a q than an r in an arc ls.

in fact, the q's are capible of between 30.6-39.8, but when underdriven, around 30 is a pretty good guess.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArcLS-Premiums are Q-ranked, meaning it's near 28-30 lumens. No ArcLS, whether HD or LD or Premium or Standard, is below 23 lumens (on a P-ranked LS Standard)... I'd say if you had to put a number on it, a 25-26 lumens rating is the "average" of the entire Arc-LS variations... No one here, myself included, is going to "guarantee" you any lumens on an Arc-LS, simply because no one, maybe not even Peter G, can do it...

Having said that, there's no absolute average for any LS (or LS-based lights, for that matter). Luxeons Stars are just that way. They're unpredictable. The 1Ws are getting better, but it's still not perfect. So if you've gotten 2 lights, each light may vary as much as 1-10 lumens from one to the other...

nonbox

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Is there a noticable difference between 28-30 lumens & 25-26 lumes?

I am considering purchasing a LS 2? How does the LS 2 compare to the other LS models?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
The LHSP has P ranked LS too. Mine is probablly P ranked. And a friend of mine has both P and Q's and he assured me that there's no noticable difference at all.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's very little difference between that low of a lumens output (28-30 and 25-26). 10 lumens is when you start to notice the changes, but only at this low of a number. But obviously, you'll never know the difference between 250 and 260 luemns... But 22 and 32 lumens does produce a difference. I'd say a 10% difference in lumens is barely noticeable, if at all. Chances are, you'll notice shades of color difference before you notice brightness differences. And keep in mind that some bluer lights "seem" brighter than the greener ones, only because our eyes perceive them as brighter...

Status
Not open for further replies.