Need a light that can take all types of AA cell

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I used to be quite up to date on what's available, but I've lost touch recently.

I want to buy several small flashlights mostly for standby/emergency use. Long shelf life and cold-weather use are important, as is the ability to take commonly available cells for resupply.

So I'm thinking one that will take a AA size cell in all the available chemistries. I can then keep e2 lithium cells for storage but also be able to use recheargeable NiMH or 14500 lithium cells for daily use. Plus be able to use standard alkaline AA cells if required.

It would be nice to have a few levels of output and maybe a strobe. Reliability is a must but I can't afford to buy a box of surefires :( Of course, brighter and longer runtimes are always appreciated so I'm probably looking for the more recent LED offerings.

So what are the best current offerings that meet these requirements?

Thanks,
Rick.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't going to be many (if any) 2xAA lights that can handle both alkalines and 14500 cells. There are some 1xAA lights that can though. If I were you I'd take a look at the Fenix L1D/L2D. You could buy the L1D and then buy an extra L2D body. This would make it possible for you to run both Alkalines, NIMH, Energizer Lithiums in both the 1xAA and 2xAA setups, and then you could also run a single 14500 in the L1D body (although you would lose your lower light levels).

Toaster

Enlightened
iTP C7 Regular
Jetbeam Jet-I Pro
Liteflux LF5XT
Nitecore Defender Infinity

Olight T15 - Can only fit unprotected 14500 so I don't consider it to really meet your criteria.

All have perfect operation on both AAs and 14500 and have strobe mode. The iTP is the cheapest but has lowest output by a significant margin. Jetbeam efficiency isn't the greatest so perhaps not the best choice for an emergency light. I would take the Nitecore Defender Infinity if it's price premium is not an issue. Liteflux LF5XT is best value in this group, especially if you can get one with R2 emitter.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FYI.. a bunch of Fenix single AA lights also work with 2AA bodies. For the life of me I can't remember which heads are compatible with which 2 cell bodies though. Gunner12 (I think it was him) knows this info... you might want to PM him or wait for his reply to this thread.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 and the NDI both take 14500 and AA batteries and you don't lose lower levels ect. on the 14500s. Very nice lights that I really like.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
liteflux lf5xt is a good one too, especially the r2.
pros of that light.
1. beam smoother and nicer than nitecore, about same brightness.
2. sos and strobe modes that you can adjust speed and timing, and most importantly, keep out of the loop!
3. set your own brightness levels and how many you have, single mode up to five modes, with and without sos and strobe

cons of that light.
1. see pro #3. that takes an owners manual (yawns, finds something else to do or hit cpf forums instead)
2. some early lights turn off when they drop. send it back for a free fix.
3. sometimes makes a noise at certain levels. not unheard of for lights with a circuit but still.

there you have it. from a guy that would know. i've owned one of everything.

Toaster

Enlightened
Nitecore D10 does not have strobe. In addition D10 has a parasitic drain even when turned off which will eventually kill the battery after a long period. So it makes a poor choice for an emergency/standby light where long shelf life is important.

There are workarounds of course. Don't put any batteries in the D10 and hope the spares you leave behind are close at hand/not missing when you need the light. Loosen the head slightly to stop the parasitic drain and hope no one ever fiddles with the light and tightens the head down while it's in storage. Personally I wouldn't rely on such measures. Just get a light where you don't have to worry about such issues.

The Sun

Enlightened
  1. LitFlux LF5XT
  2. Nitcore Defender Infinity
short list, but these are awesome lights IMO anyway! :D

Southernlight

Enlightened
Rick, first up, thanks for asking this question, its a really valid one IMO. What surprises me is that the shortlist is just that, quite short. I am surprised there is not more? :thinking: All the lights listed here are ones I am considering. :twothumbs

Thanks

Tim