Opinions please between these three

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Hello gang! I am looking to buy myself a new key chain flashlight. Currently I use the Photon Micro II
I am looking at getting either the Fenix EO1, or the Fenix LOD, or the one that I originally wanted but I am not sure if it is as tough as the Fenix lights. Is the Coast LED Lenser P3. I know the the P3 is 24.00 at a local store. The EO1 is 15.00 througth the mail. and the LOD I think is like $35.00.
I carry a P2D with me so this is more or less just a keychain light for those times when I need one. I looked at the ARC AAA as well but just not looking to spend that much as I am replacing a total of about four keychain lights. My Wife is wanting the Gerber Tempo. So I think I will get the kids the Tempo as well. But for myself I think it is between these three. Unless the Streamlight Micro is small enough for keychain travel?
Thanks for any help. I know this is kinda vague,

ugrey

Enlightened
LODs are not cheap but they are by far the best. They are the brightest on high and are the longest running on low. I have several EO1s and an ARC AAA. The LOD is what is on my key chain. It replaced the ARC. I am like you, I carry a P2D in a front pocket for all my general light needs and it gets used many times each day. The LOD is on my key ring for emergencies, in case I forget or lose my P2D or for a loaner light in an emergency. For an emergency I want something brighter than an ARC or EO1. Put a lithium battery in your LOD and it will never leak and you will get longer run times. I also carry a second LOD in a small pocket sewn on the side of my wallet. After a bit over one year on my key chain, my LOD is a bit beat up but it still works great.

ARCs and EO1s are great for power outage lights. When the power goes out hang it around your neck and turn it on and just leave it on. It is a bright enough light to navigate your dark house and to do 80% of what you need to do. Around your neck and turned on, you can't lose it and it is very handy. You can leave it on because AAAs are so cheap and you keep a bunch of extras at home since you are a flashaholic. You do keep extra batteries at home don't you?

Howdy and welcome to CPF.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 is a great little long runtime backup for a brighter light. I'm never without mine, along with my D10.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For backup use, the E01 should be good. For more EDC type keychain light the L0D or LD01 should be good.

I don't know enough about the Coast to see where it will fit.

brucec

Enlightened
I don't understand why you guys think the E01 would make a better backup? Cost? I think the L0D is better than the E01 in all categories. Unless you like the purple light of the E01, that is.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why you guys think the E01 would make a better backup? Cost? I think the L0D is better than the E01 in all categories. Unless you like the purple light of the E01, that is.

For me it's the much longer runtime that makes it a better backup light. If a keychain light was sometimes the only light I carried, then it'd probably be the L0D for it's brighter modes.

brucec

Enlightened
I would still recommend the LD01's 10lumens of white light for 8.5hrs over the 11lumens of purple light for 11hrs. Unless the OP likes low all the time. Then the multi-mode switching would be cumbersome. Regardless of tint or runtime, Fenix does a good job with the AAA lights. I happily go for whatever happens to be in my pocket at the time.

brucec

Enlightened
Actually, one disadvantage of the L0D or LD01 is the PWM is visible in the low modes if it matters to you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
L0D if you want strobe, LD01 if you don't. LD01 did away with the PWM problem too, but it never really bothered me and I still prefer my L0D's.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I am thinking I may grab the LED Lenser P3. If for no other reason then to do a review on it. I decided if I go Fenix, it would be the LOD. But I can get the P3 for 24 bucks locally. I already carry a P2D. So, I may give them a chance. I really like the Streamlight Microstream better, but I don't know about it being a keyring light. I may have to buy it for my Compute tool bag I really lke it from what I have seen on line.
Thanks for everything

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Helstar and welcome to CPF,
You can't go wrong with any of those lights, however, this is my reasoning for recommending something like the Fenix LD01:

Most of us carry something like the P2D as our primary EDC, and our keyring light is basically our backup light...... but what I've found is that in those types of situations where I really need lights, OFTEN my primary EDC get's loaned out to those not as prepared as I am, leaving me with only my backup light...... so I want my backup light to be nearly as good as my primary..... which is why I carry a nice bright 3 level AAA light on my keyring.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the brightest on high and are the longest running on low.

They're the brightest, but the little E01 runs about twice as long on low.

Personally, I carry an E01 as my backup, and loan that out, with a raw al as my primary.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm one of those few flashaholics who just dont like low brightness lights such as the E01 and some SF models. IMHO, this light is pretty useless compared to the LD01: low brightness, purple beam, single mode, not a lot smaller... get this if you REALLY need the 11 hours of 10lms.

I constantly use flashlights and I've never needed to go for a dim flashlight to get more runtime. I carry some spares batteries instead. JetIII Pro is my main, Nitecore Extreme is my backup and the LD01 is always with me. =)

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry spare batteries if I anticipate a need for them, but on a daily basis I'd carry a larger light with a bigger, longer lasting battery rather than a small light with spare batteries. That seems to defeat the object of a small, keychain sized backup light. This is just personal preference though, and I'm not trying to say my way is better. Both ways work.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I'm one of those few flashaholics who just dont like low brightness lights such as the E01 and some SF models. IMHO, this light is pretty useless compared to the LD01: low brightness, purple beam, single mode, not a lot smaller... get this if you REALLY need the 11 hours of 10lms.

I constantly use flashlights and I've never needed to go for a dim flashlight to get more runtime. I carry some spares batteries instead. JetIII Pro is my main, Nitecore Extreme is my backup and the LD01 is always with me. =)

you will find that the low brightness is the way to go in most cases, not just for the longer runtime either, but especially outside its easy to navigate with a low beam

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. I am thinking I may grab the LED Lenser P3. If for no other reason then to do a review on it. I decided if I go Fenix, it would be the LOD. But I can get the P3 for 24 bucks locally. I already carry a P2D. So, I may give them a chance. I really like the Streamlight Microstream better, but I don't know about it being a keyring light. I may have to buy it for my Compute tool bag I really lke it from what I have seen on line.
Thanks for everything

Funny that you mentioned P3, I just played with it in store a couple of hours ago. It's really big for an AAA light, in fact I don't know why didn't they just make it into an AA light since it wouldn't be much bigger. The focusing isn't as good as the bigger Lensers, combined with the low output it's kinda pointless. I could've picked it up for $20 but I passed, get the e01 instead. Or ld01 if you don't mind the price and rechargeable/lithium batteries.