Emailed Coast today and they responded very quickly

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
I know that the Coast LED Lensers do not get much love here. I am trying to get a small collection of lights from different vendors. Anyway, I have liked the P3 ever since I seen a review of it online. I found one at the local Police store and was thinking that this was going to be my key chain light. I had a few questions to ask about the light so I clicked on the ask the president link at Coast. He responded back in about two hours. I am not sure if it is really the president of the company or not. I doubt that it is. But I thought it was nice that I got a reply the same day.
I asked these questions.
1. what is the actually water resistance rate of these lights
2. Can they take Energizer Lithium ( I have heard some lights can not take Lithium's)
3. Are the build qualities up to par with say Fenix.

here is his response
Hi Michael:
Thanks for your email and no need to apologize for the questions. That is what we are here for.

The reason you have not read many reviews about the P3 is that it was just introduced in 2008. You can find some nice reviews of the P7 on the internet which is the "big brother" of the P3. The P3 and the P5 (next size up) are my favorite lights-I gave the P3's to my three daughters for Christmas to keep on their key rings. I use the P5 all the time myself. To answer your specific questions:
1. All of these lights can withstand being submerged in water up to 10 feet deep at least.
2. You can use Energizer lithiums no problem; the big advantage is that you can also use any standard AAA or AA battery as well.
3. Since these are all metal cases putting them on a key ring is no problem; they will last for years.
The choice between the two is tough-to me it is all about the size. If you can use the AA size-get the P5-the light output is tremendous for a light that size. If you really want a AAA size the P3 will be fine.
Good luck-if you need any more technical questions-call Mike Hill at 1-800-426-5858 between 8 and 5 Pacific time Monday through Friday.
Best regards,
David Brands
President

Coast Cutlery has changed to Coast Products and we have a new website to reflect this change. You can now find us at www.coastportland.com.
Please add my new contact information to your files.
Best regards,
David Brands
mail

David C. Brands
President
COAST
8033 NE Holman St.
Portland, OR. 97218
503-234-4545
503-234-4422 (fax)
[email protected]

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I was going to buy a P3 a couple of weeks ago. I changed my mind and bought the K3. The K3 has all the same features of the P3, but nearly half the size, its also a couple of lumens brighter. I had some time with both of them in the store, and walked away with the K3 because of the form factor.

my.php

Last edited:

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Where did you see this review? How well do these guys focus, I'm very interested in the P3.

IF you do a Google search for "Gadeteer" she has a review of the P3 and the P7. She also has a few other light reviews as well. Just go to her site and on the right kinda in the center more then to the side. Well it is offset to the right anyway. You will see a bunch of light gray links just click on the flashlight link and you will find it there.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Thanks Helster. I'm liking the perfect circle beam, I think I'm going to get one.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! Thanks Helster. I'm liking the perfect circle beam, I think I'm going to get one.

This review is really waht got me to this forum site. I was very happy with my dozen mag-lites with the Xenon bulb upgrade. Then I seen the review on the P3, then the P7, then I found this forum. I love Fenix. BUt, I do not want to become brand specific nor do I want to have five thousand lights. I have like I said A dozen Mags of all sizes and shapes. I am going to do light modding to these. I also want to own about a Dozen tactical styles lights. I have my Fenix P2D for EDC, I think I am going to go with the P3 as my keychain light. I know I am getting the Streamlight Microstream for my office tool kit. Etc. Etc.
I did go to a local shop and I got to play with several of the LED Lensers. I thought they were all very cool. I am hoping to get the P3 this week. I am not sure if they are as tough as the others or as good as the others, but I like what I saw and I will buy at least one of their lights.