Malkoff M60L

Tim B

Newly Enlightened

jonesy

Enlightened
You'd want to get the M60LF, which is the Flood version. I have both the M60 and M60L, and they're more of a thrower, but still a great EDC. Get both!

Axion

Enlightened
I wouldn't say that the standard Malkoff's are bad a lighting a room, I have an M30W and I'm quite happy with the beam pattern. But, if you really want a wall of light you might consider the M60F (flood).

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Look at the other drop ins on the sight. You need one of the M60F series. F stands for Flood Beam. They might even be a M60LF available if you are set on the lower output. If it were my decision, I would recomend the M60F, it is much brighter than the M60L and you still get 1.5hrs of max brightness before it starts to dim on a set of primaries.

Moka

Enlightened
I have the M60L and it really is perfect for lighting a room, but if you are looking for that floody beam go the M60LF, the L and LF are IMHO the perfect balance between brightness and runtime.
The other idea would be to email Gene and Cathy about the dropin and what you'll be using it for, they'll recommend the best one for you.
The customer service you receive from them is second to none! and I'm sure others around here agree whole heartedly!

I'd go the M60L it lights up the room just fine and that way you can have that bit of throw if you leave the house, it works well for me YMMV.
Perhaps get the M60L and then also get a diffuser cap for your 6P, I've heard that working well, though have never tried it.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I just saw the M60F and the LF on their website but it says "sold out" for both the F and the LF. Does anyone have both the Surefire L4 and a light with the M60L or LF 140 lumen drop in? Is the Malkoff 140 lumen noticeably brighter than the Surefire L4?

Not that that there is anything wrong with the L4, I love mine. I am just trying to build some more flooders. Most small flashlights these days are all about throw.

chewy78

Enlightened
I have the m60l and it does a decent job. It has a blueish tint to it though. I would recommend the M60WF if i were to order again. If you want a warmer color for more flood the M60WF should do the trick.

Last edited:

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Okay, thanks for all the replies so fast. I will probably get the M60WF if they decide to start making more of them. It says "sold out" for that one also.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Tim, welcome to CPF. The Malkoff drop ins are very popular and dozens of threads about them here on CPF. Try some searching. You can use the Google Search (cpf only) at the top of every CPF page. You can look forward to thousands upon thousands of words about Gene Malkoff's works.

Bill

elumen8

Enlightened
Tim, sign up to be on Malkoff's mailing list. His drop-ins go quick and this is the best way to be notified everytime new units are listed for sale.

I have the M60F as well as the M60 with a surefire FM34 diffuser for flood. I actually prefer the M60-FM34 because I can have throw and flood in one package.

-JB