RA Twisty and tritium?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep ;)

If youre not to picky about the beam,the small ones that Bart sells will fit beside the emitter without adding to much artifacts.

I made a small pool of slow curing epoxy and carefully put the tritium on top of the emitter.I used a toothpick to put it in the right location on the oposite side of the red small diode.

The tritium now is seated at the optimal focal point of the reflector and in complete darkness with dark adapted eyes i can actually read with it.
I used a green Trit.

Your eyes have to be dark adapted and you need to hold the light real close to the paper youre reading.

Another option i did was to add a pool of epoxy on the bare metal in the rear of the light.(Looks like a button)
I put a small trit there aswell and covered the tritium with another layer of epoxy.

If you use a toothpick or similar to add the slow curing epoxy little at a time you get a good result without making a mess.

I love mine :)

Tryed to take a pic in the dark but it did not come out very well...
I`ll see if i can try again tomorrow.

Feel free to remind me,i forget easily.

Cheers,
Benny

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
The question I have is where do I get the dots? Can I buy them? I searched. I only found fishing lures and gun mounted dot sights.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just put one or several on the tail end around the silver disk.They will be well protected and should show up real nice.

JohnTz

Enlightened
Guys thanks for the suggestions. I think the tritium is very useful as a locator at night. I am not interested in putting any inside the head of the light. I just want a single one in the back of the light somehow. I was thinking it would be nice to machine a disk the same diameter as the silver part at the back of the light that would be thick enough to machine a slot for one of barts 5mm vials. Then just epoxy the disk on the back. That way the trit is protected.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Yep ;)

I love mine :)

Tryed to take a pic in the dark but it did not come out very well...
I`ll see if i can try again tomorrow.

Feel free to remind me,i forget easily.

This is your official reminder.. Since this needs to be documented, please furnish those pictures! :poke::thumbsup:

I'd love to see just a day time shot of what the trit looks like next to the emitter, and a couple night shots of it would be nice too if you could manage it.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My camera new Camera is a Automatic and it is hard to get the desireable result.
I guess practice makes master...but i am very close to going back to my old camera...

So here is my best shots after some swearing and cursing :crackup:

P1010487.jpg

P1010489.jpg

P1010490.jpg

P1010493.jpg

I had bad luck when doing the tail and the epoxy got some bubbles due to me mixing the epoxy to fast.
The front has a visible pool of epoxy at the bottom of the reflector,does not affect the beam much from the original.
There is no problem applying less epoxy so that the beam is left just the way it is.I just wanted to make sure the Tritium was not going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
The epoxy over the emitter makes me tremble!!!:faint:

I suppose if it still functions normally, and enhances visibility, then you've done a great job! :thumbsup:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter is fine,

If you unscrew the reflector the led looks untouched by the epoxy.
The led is completely flat and the epoxy did not bond very well to it.
Hence the extra epoxy on top to make it bond to the reflector.

I just love this light even mre now that i have a tritium at the reflectors focal point.

It make sthe little trit glow extra bright and the green almost fill the entire reflector when it is completey dark.

Every reflector should have a small groove at the bottom for these small tritiums :)

luxlover

Banned
Boys and girls,
May I ask a logical question? Why would anybody place a tritium vial anywhere on a light, where it cannot be seen regardless of the light's orientation to the viewer? Take for example any of Henry's past and present lights....EDC, NovaTac, Twisty and Clicky. By getting a SS or Ti lens retaining ring with the three cutout slots, one can position a vial in each slot so that one or more can be seen regardless of the position of the light.....except when you are facing the endcap. In this case, place a vial in the endcap of a Twisty as seen above, in addition to the vials in the retaining ring. In this way, the light will be visible in any position.

By the way, I never implimented my own advice. I discovered the beauty of tritium when I bought a Seoulmated B42XRGT from the sister one of our untimely (37) deceased brethren, Walt175. I cherish that light for the memories, as well as Walt's modding actions.

Jeff

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discovered the beauty of tritium when I bought a Seoulmated B42XRGT from the sister one of our untimely (37) deceased brethren, Walt175. I cherish that light for the memories, as well as Walt's modding actions.
Jeff

Good point in the post about trintium.
I orderd my first 2 Lummi/Raw w/o them. After my Wee arrived with 2 beautiful blue locators, I saw the error of my ways, now I always will opt for trintium locators.

On a much more somber note I am saddened to hear of the untimely passing of a fellow CPF member. I see mention of his last CPF activity in November 2008. Although I didn't know him, according to his information, he sounds alot like alot of us here at CPF. May he Rest in Peace in the presence of the geatest eternal, most beautiful, loving light there is.

luxlover

Banned
Good point in the post about trintium.
I orderd my first 2 Lummi/Raw w/o them. After my Wee arrived with 2 beautiful blue locators, I saw the error of my ways, now I always will opt for trintium locators.

On a much more somber note I am saddened to hear of the untimely passing of a fellow CPF member. I see mention of his last CPF activity in November 2008. Although I didn't know him, according to his information, he sounds alot like alot of us here at CPF. May he Rest in Peace in the presence of the geatest eternal, most beautiful, loving light there is.
Indeed, you have finally gone down a righteous path in your use of tritium.

Amen to your thoughts. Walt was a steady at our bi-annual PhotonFest flashaholic meeting, at the Califon NJ home of CPF modder milkyspit. I knew Walt since Dec. 2004. The first time I saw him he had about five lights to showcase. When his sister attended our meeting in Oct 2008, she brought 100 of his lights. Even in his death in June 2008, he remained a true flashaholic, running back into his home to get two flashlights before heading to the hospital where he died a few hours later. In addition, his sister placed two of his favorite flashlights on his chest in his casket. Now that is true CLASS!

Jeff

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for that post.
I can related to what Walt's Sister did with his 2 lights in the casket.
It's only fitting to be buried with your EDC rig. Before they shut the lid on my Father's casket I inserted his 2 AA EDC light in its usual EDC position.

luxlover

Banned
thanks for that post.
I can related to what Walt's Sister did with his 2 lights in the casket.
It's only fitting to be buried with your EDC rig. Before they shut the lid on my Father's casket I inserted his 2 AA EDC light in its usual EDC position.
Oops, I completely overlooked your reference to "EDC position" in your father's casket. What position would that be?

Jeff

P.S. PM reply to follow shortly.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
i know this is an old post, but how did walt die. I read he was getting flashlights 2 hours before his death?