I need a light genius to help me with a reflector

utahdeepdiver

Newly Enlightened
I have to make 2 diff reflectors for 2 lights I am making but I cant figure out how to determine the angle of the curve at the bottom of the reflector to make these lights have a 6degree throw-the dimensions of the reflectors are such: 3.6" diameter tapered to 1" by 1.75" long
and 3.0 diameter tapered to .20 lamp hole x 1.95" long-this is the inside diameter- I have already made these but they are way to floody and I aneed them much tighter-PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be much cheaper and easier for you to buy a handful of reflectors and optics to see what will happen then try to make them yourself. Change your flashlight design if needed, dispite your desire not to do it.

In general, a reflector is a parabloid, but the coatings and finish have a huge effect on flood vs throw. In any event, I think your depth is insufficient to pull it off with a reflector.

6 degrees is pretty tight - really needs a computer based optical simulation by a trained optics engineer to pull that off. Please strongly consider buying a commercial product with all of the engineering done already. I have way to much expensive experience at bucking that tide.

Commercial reflectors are not that expensive in qty 100 or more.

utahdeepdiver

Newly Enlightened
I cant find anyone that makes a 4" or a 3" reflector for a H7 bulb so:sigh:
If anyone knows where I can get them.