LED Upgrade Advise

newman_diver

Newly Enlightened
I have a Seoul LED (3 watt) that I removed from my dive light. I would like to upgrade to something brighter and was directed to this forum for advise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you want to completely redesign the light to work on a SSC P7, Cree MC-E or array of several LEDs, the SSC P4 (I assume it's a P4 since you say "3W") you already have is close to cutting edge already. Even if it isn't one of the best bins, upgrading won't give you much more light.

By the way, what is your dive light?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it is a Seoul P4 U bin, then there isn't much you can do with the light to gain more output unless you fit in a Seoul P7 or Cree MC-E and find a way to drive them.

:welcome:

ambientmind

Enlightened
Could you give us a little more info on the light? I tried looking it up, but there isnt much info on it. My only suggestion would be to upgrade to a U2 bin seoul for a tiny, probably undetectable amount of increase in light. But if the led isnt being driven at its full potential, you may be able to upgrade the driver board for more output. This would of course shorten your runtime which might not be good underwater. It looks like it uses a lithium battery? If so, what size and how many? It also looks like it has an optic instead of a reflector. Thes the optic fall out if you take off the head? I was thinking you might be able to Fit a P60 sized drop in, in which case you could install a nice M60 from Malkoff with possibly a WH tint for underwater, or even a custom P7 or MCE dropin. I've read that the greenish tinted light penetrates coastal waters the best. Where do you scuba?

kuksul08

Enlightened
Depending on the efficiency of the reflector, might a cree R2 be good since they have a narrower viewing angle and more lm/w than the ssc p4?

Either way, the one you have in there is very modern.

newman_diver

Newly Enlightened
Could you give us a little more info on the light? I tried looking it up, but there isnt much info on it. My only suggestion would be to upgrade to a U2 bin seoul for a tiny, probably undetectable amount of increase in light. But if the led isnt being driven at its full potential, you may be able to upgrade the driver board for more output. This would of course shorten your runtime which might not be good underwater. It looks like it uses a lithium battery? If so, what size and how many? It also looks like it has an optic instead of a reflector. Thes the optic fall out if you take off the head? I was thinking you might be able to Fit a P60 sized drop in, in which case you could install a nice M60 from Malkoff with possibly a WH tint for underwater, or even a custom P7 or MCE dropin. I've read that the greenish tinted light penetrates coastal waters the best. Where do you scuba?

The light is powered by two (2) CR123 batteries. It doesn't have a relector, it has a cone shaped optic and a protective lens. I would need a 3hr burntime and currently they have 5hr. The optic and lens are held in by an o-ring and fall out when the o-ring is removed. I mostly dive off the coast of BC and some freshwater diving in Mexico (caves).

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glass optics made for SSCs are not suited to Cree R2 LEDs. Put the SSC P4 back where you found it and enjoy your light as it is. :p

Bubblemaker

Newly Enlightened
The light is powered by two (2) CR123 batteries. It doesn't have a relector, it has a cone shaped optic and a protective lens. I would need a 3hr burntime and currently they have 5hr. The optic and lens are held in by an o-ring and fall out when the o-ring is removed. I mostly dive off the coast of BC and some freshwater diving in Mexico (caves).

I know it's an old thread but be aware that the o-ring is hard to take out without damaging it and (for me) it was impossible to get it back in. I found out the hard way.
I wanted to upgrade it with an aspheric lens which worked out great. Only downside is that the lens didn't fit afterwards. :oops:
Now I tried everything possible but can't seem to get the o-ring back. By now the o-ring is damaged a lot so I'm off to my dealer tomorrow to get it fixed. Wonder how much it's gonna cost me.