Are 2xCR123 flashlights becoming obsolete?

brucec

Enlightened
With 1xCR123 LED flashlights giving >60 lumens for several hours, I find that I am not using my 2xCR123 lights (mainly Surefires) as much anymore. 6V vs 3V meant a lot in the incan world, but with LEDs, that extra cell is basically just giving you more runtime which seems to be good enough already on 1 cell. Plus with 2 cells, you have to worry about having cells paired at about the same discharge level. Now for lumen-buffs or the throw crowd, 2 cells might still make sense, but even then, the market seems to be leaning towards the 1x18650 format. Anyway, I don't have plans to buy anymore 2xCR123 flashlights and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I prefer the ergonomics of a 2-cell light in my hand. I find the single cell lights too small, hard to grasp and as a result I tend to drop them more. But the single cell lights (both AA and CR123) are MUCH easier to EDC. So its kind of a trade off, and I like BOTH formats for their unique strengths.

I wish someone made a 1x18500 sized light... that might be a good compromise.

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
Fivemega has made some 18500 bodies. They are now avaliable at Lighthound i just saw them in stock. Its actually pretty nice, I'm thinking of getting one:sssh:
I think 1 cell lights are good for using cr123s that are different capacities and cannot be used together. I actually like the feel of a 2 cell light. Since i have large hands, the body fits my hand better than a single cell body

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
brucec said:
I don't have plans to buy anymore 2xCR123 flashlights and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I'm not sure if I would go as far as not buying any more 2x123 lights but I do agree with you that they have less relevance in the modern flashaholic's arsenal. As you pointed out, in the case of most single emitter lights, adding an extra cell only increases runtime, not output. It's only when you want to move on to obscene multi-emitter/multi-die designs that the power from an extra cell is needed, and these lights end up being not too EDC friendly.

In the case of incans, with LEDs becoming more and more efficient, the old tungsten scorchers are largely only competitive in the higher power levels. For me, the choice to run an incan lamp instead of an LED dropin only begins to make sense in three cell lights like the SF 9P and C3. AW's IMR 16340 cells have made some powerful combinations available for two cell lights recently but I think it's only a matter of time before LEDs catch up again in 2x123 class and by this stage, the single cell lights will be just as bright and more EDC friendly.

The only 2x123 light that I think has avoided any chance of redundancy is the SPY007, which has the form factor and power to match the brightest single cell lights, but the added runtime of an extra cell.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the longer runtimes with 2 x CR123s. Of course we could and usually do, carry spares but as stated, i like the feel of a 2 x CR123 light in my hand.

The only 2xCR123 lights i have are a Aurora WF-600 Q5 and a modded Hugsby B2 paired with a 15w, 7.4volt Xenon bulb (turns into an awesome flooder IMHO) and frankly i like the feel of the Hugsby, sorta fits just right if u know what i mean.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I still prefer a 2xCR123 form for an outdoor use light. A 1xCR123 or 1xAA tends to be too small to grasp and use easily, especially when I am wearing gloves outdoors. That is why my pocket EDC is normally a 1xCR123 or 1xAA light but the lights I keep in my car are 2xCR123 or 2xAA lights.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
With 1xCR123 LED flashlights giving >60 lumens for several hours, I find that I am not using my 2xCR123 lights (mainly Surefires) as much anymore. 6V vs 3V meant a lot in the incan world, but with LEDs, that extra cell is basically just giving you more runtime which seems to be good enough already on 1 cell. Plus with 2 cells, you have to worry about having cells paired at about the same discharge level. Now for lumen-buffs or the throw crowd, 2 cells might still make sense, but even then, the market seems to be leaning towards the 1x18650 format. Anyway, I don't have plans to buy anymore 2xCR123 flashlights and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

If SF thought like this, they would go bankrupt. Their main target/contracts dont use rechargeables, and 1 cell lights are to small to manipulate in the field. I have a hard enough time holding onto a 1 cell light while wearing gloves.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in my EDC world. I have a SF L1, Longbow Micra, and Fenix P1 CE as 3 single CR123 lights and they are not my go to light for EDC. I carry the L1 in my back pack as a back-up and my CR2 Ion on keychain as a last resort. Forget spare cells, I carry spare flashlights, lol. I agree with the above posters about comfort. A two cell 123 light seems to fit my hand very well and these 1 cell lights are usually too small.

Surefire C3 with P91 was my EDC but since getting these new AW IMR 16340 (high discharge safe cells) I have gone to a SF 6P host with a Lumens Factory EO-9 bulb running on 2 of the IMR cells. This is of course my jacket/cargo pocket set-up. When it gets warmer I go back to using the old faithful E2e (but will get the high output IMR lamp from Lumens Factory soon for more output.)

Its all situational dependant though. I live in an area of very high ambient lighting (NYC) and I rarely use my lights. When I do need to use it, its for a brief period of time and I need a lot of light coming out of a small package that is able to cut through other sources of light to identify/find something.

If I could carry it (let alone afford it) I would EDC a SF Beast II.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeables are nice when you can get them - as SureAddicted pointed out, not every customer base has access to them or can use them with any degree of feasibility.

Also, different customers need different outputs - anything better than 80 lumens (give or take) is outdoors work, tactical or emergency use. And for the last two, improved run times can be critical.

Functionality and retainability are key points that can be limiting when trying to manipulate small objects - particularly with gloves or cold hands.

And, at the end of the day, there will always be a bigger, brighter light source that requires more power than a single cell.

-Trevor

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one 2xCR123 light - an 80 lumen K2 based Nuwai that I keep in the car.
I only bought it because it was on sale, not because of the 2xCR123 config.
The 2xCR123 config works well for the car, as the 1xCR123 lights kept falling to the bottom of the door pocket.

All of my other CR123 based lights are single cell.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What mossyoak said.

In a situation where I know I need a light I always take a 2x123 with me in addition to my EDC. Might even take spare cells. You never know, and it would be *really* embarrassing if the flashaholic runs ouot of light :D

bernie

carrot

Flashaholic
I still prefer a 2xCR123 form for an outdoor use light. A 1xCR123 or 1xAA tends to be too small to grasp and use easily, especially when I am wearing gloves outdoors. That is why my pocket EDC is normally a 1xCR123 or 1xAA light but the lights I keep in my car are 2xCR123 or 2xAA lights.
What he said, basically.

If I am planning using a light for a long time I will generally carry a 2x123 light, sometimes as backup, other as primary to my normal 1x123 EDC. Like Jason said, why bother with cells when you can carry a second flashlight?

I also like to carry a 2x123 in my jacket during the winter months. The added pockets affords me this comfort and winter has longer and earlier periods of darkness.

1x123 is cute and nice to carry in your pocket but 2x123 is still more comfortable to hold and use. For the longest time I held out as a 2x123 EDCer but I was finally won over by a 1x123 light that offered everything I wanted (long runtime, good output, comfortable use and carry). However I still keep a large number of 2x123 lights around because they are just more comfortable to handle. That, and they also offer the most range of possibilities (we are talking Surefire, right?) for upgrades and modifications.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention that losing a C2 is a helluva lot harder to do than, say, an E1B. :poke:

:D

-Trevor

toolpig1

Enlightened
Definitely prefer 2 cell lights for comfort in the hand and runtime, but the exploding flashlight stories have given me serious pause. Some of the single cell lights have really progressed on lumens and runtime, and without the worry of explosion, are now more attractive to me as well.

Plus, I can carry a single cell light in my pocket, whereas I need to holster a 2 cell light. I always have my cell phone and a multitool on the belt, a Kershaw chive clipped in pocket, so unless I'm at work, I prefer to not have a third thing on my belt.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
For short use or not-so-serious use, I would prefer a single CR123 light but my issue is heat. Many single CR123 lights do not have the size of heatsink or surface area to keep temperatures down while sustaining the outputs I require beyond 10 to 15 minutes in my hot tropical environment.

brucec

Enlightened
Well, I picked up my 6P again and it does feel pretty good in the hand. And I can imagine it would be easier to use with ski gloves on. But I do still think the bar for acceptable runtime has been raised arbitrarily high. 5 years ago, everyone was impressed with 65 "tactical" unregulated lumens for 1hr from 2xCR123. Now 65 regulated lumens for 3hrs from 1xCR123 is somehow considered inadequate. I guess if you have a choice of 3 vs 8 hours, and don't mind or like the extra length, then why not? Too bad there aren't any readily available Li primaries about the 18500 or 18650 size. Then we could have a 3V chemistry designed for extra capacity instead of voltage.