Mte ssc p7 2 mode mini review w/pics indoor and out

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
First, let me say by no means do I consider myself an expert when it comes to flashlights. I stumbled upon this forum a couple months ago and I cant stop stumbling. So I post these pictures and my mini review for the novices and experts alike. My technical knowledge is limited and just started to learn and apply the flashlight basics. (ie: rechargeable batteries, soldering, dmm's etc etc) I use these flashlights tactically on a nightly basis. Good flood and bright light were an essential for me, as they are with most flashlight lovers. I have owned a streamlight stinger for years and it has done the job, but it was getting old. I then tried an led lenser and was very disappointed. I thought I was done with led lights. However, I really needed a new light. So started to look for a new light and this time I would do my research. So after much searching and studying this forum. I decided to go with the Tiablo A9. The first night I used it I was impressed. Nice bright light, awesome thrower. But I still wanted more. I said, if a cree Q5 can do this, what can a ssc p7 or cree mc-e do. So I bought the mte ssc p7 2 mode from kd and here it is.....

MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashlight
First thoughts...It was smaller than I expected. I received it with no damage or marks of any kind. Not quite as weighty as my streamlight and a bit lighter than my tiablo. Rear recessed clicky allows for wobbling tailstanding and has a nice feel to it. Like I said earlier, I don't have a lot to compare it to. It came with a glass lens and aluminum op reflector. The threads were smooth and had some lubrication on them. To power it I am using a tenergy 18650 1600ma freshly charged at 4.10 volts. I don't have a light meter so I cannot give lux readings or the like. When first powered up, I thought holy .... this thing is bright. The first click is high mode, with the second low and then third click off. Moving from the Q5 to the P7 was a noticeable step. The biggest thing I noticed was the hotspot, or the lack of one on the mte. It is more like a wall of light, so the throw wont be like a tiablo A9 which has a deep reflector, smo reflector. For my line of work the mte is an advantage. But I guess it is a matter of preference. The light seems to be a nice white light with a very slight hint of a blue-ish tint. The light worked out of the box (thank goodness). Now one thing to note is the light can get hot. Almost to hot to the touch on high after about 10 minutes indoors. I have been using outdoors in new york so the weather has been regulating the temp of the light with no problem. The running time on the above mentioned battery is about 50 minutes until some noticeable dimming starts to occur. I didnt want to run it much longer than that to preserve the life of my batteries. On the freshly charged battery is the flashlight is drawing approx. 2.8ma. I didnt measure what it was drawing near the end. I'll try to do that on my next review. Near the 50 minute mark it became noticeably dimmer than my tiablo A9 with new 123's. So that's it, I really do like the flashlight and recently have acquired an ultrafire wf1000 mc-e, aurora mc-e 2 mode and am waiting for a trustfire p7. I will try my best to get pics up of those. I hope you enjoy the pics. I did indoor and outdoor pics to get feel how the light looks in everyday situations. All lit pics are shot at 400 iso, no flash,F3.5.

dsc03567zt1.th.jpg
dsc03569ah7.th.jpg

Tiablo on high 25 feet from door
dsc03575qc3.jpg

Mte on high 25 feet from door
dsc03576vk9.jpg

outdoor reference shot 35 feet
dsc03579se7.jpg

tiablo on low 35'
dsc03584ba0.jpg

mte on low 35'
dsc03583av1.jpg

tiablo on high 35'
dsc03586od6.jpg

mte on high 35'
dsc03585np8.jpg

3 feet mte on left. tiablo on right
dsc03589xd6.jpg

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy js-lots and welcome to CPF,
That was a mighty fine review! Seriously, you touched on most, if not all, of the things that folks would want to know about the light, and you gave is us BOTH indoor and outdoor beamshots..... BRAVO!!!

I've been considering getting either a P7 or an MC-E based light for my late night bicycle commute home, so I was very interested in your comments on this light. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Howdy js-lots and welcome to CPF,
That was a mighty fine review! Seriously, you touched on most, if not all, of the things that folks would want to know about the light, and you gave is us BOTH indoor and outdoor beamshots..... BRAVO!!!

I've been considering getting either a P7 or an MC-E based light for my late night bicycle commute home, so I was very interested in your comments on this light. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it.

I have two mc-e and they both have more of a hotspot and a little less flood than the p7. Plus they seem to have more rings. I dont know if the reflector is to blame. It appears that the higher quality distributors are starting to produce mc-e flashlights right now. So we will see if the beams get nicer with better reflector dimensions and better quality flashlights.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Great review!

If you had to guess, what would you say the output is on low, and have you done a runtime on low?

Thanks!

budashoots

Newly Enlightened
I just joined this forum and would like to know What is an mtessc p7 2 mode mini. I am sure if I spend enough time on here I will be able to figure it out, but could someone help me out in the mean time.

budashoots

Newly Enlightened
OK i looked up this light and it says it puts out 900 lumens is this true. Just joined and I am not knowledgeable about the tech stuff. I have a fenix tk that is suppose to put out 225, it is a nice light but 900. Clue me in please.

viix

Newly Enlightened
900 lumens are usually manufacture rated for bulb lumens. In this case, the SSC which is Seoul Semi Conducter. P7 being the led emitter.

MTE is a Singapore branded item Made in China which you can find on DealExtreme or DX which you see often in these forum.

mmbeller191

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I am interested in more info about your MC-E lights vs. the P7s. Which of your budget lights would you say puts out the most overall lumens. Which one (besides the Tiablo) has the best throw? Thank you for your review.

Art

Enlightened
How much lux does the MTE have more less?
Is that a 900lumens light correct?

Im searching for a powerfull light for that size that can light up a 100meter area, no need for much throw , only a lot of light in the first 30 to 70meters more less.

Regards

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
OK i looked up this light and it says it puts out 900 lumens is this true. Just joined and I am not knowledgeable about the tech stuff. I have a fenix tk that is suppose to put out 225, it is a nice light but 900. Clue me in please.
Whenever you buy lights from some of the aforementioned named sites it can be a crap shoot. Their Quality assurance is non existent. Unfortunately, I do not own a light meter. However I can tell you 900 lumens is greatly exaggerated. Some other cp'ers say it is roughly400-600 depending on the driver. the p7 and mce is going to be brighter than than any of single die led out there. (that I know of anyway)

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
How much lux does the MTE have more less?
Is that a 900lumens light correct?

Im searching for a powerfull light for that size that can light up a 100meter area, no need for much throw , only a lot of light in the first 30 to 70meters more less.

Regards

look at budget bennie light reviews in the beginning of the led section. I believe there is a aurora p7 on there which is similar to my mte. There is lightbox and lux readings on there I believe. From my research on dx it appears that the auroras with quad die emmitters all run a driver at 1800ma. The mte I own I ve guaged at 2.8 ma on a fresh battery. My mte p7 appears brighter and floodier than my aurora mc-e. If you want more flood these quad dies are great. Just be wary of possible quality issues of these lights. good luck

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I am interested in more info about your MC-E lights vs. the P7s. Which of your budget lights would you say puts out the most overall lumens. Which one (besides the Tiablo) has the best throw? Thank you for your review.
So far my ultrafire wf1000 2x 18650 mc-e has the best throw( without including the tiablo). However I wouldnt wish that light on anybody. It is sorely underdriven and constantly breaks down. I am waiting for a new driver for it from kd. We shall see. Otherwise for throw, I would stay with the single die led from reputable brands until there are better developed reflectors for these quad dies.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
I just joined this forum and would like to know What is an mtessc p7 2 mode mini. I am sure if I spend enough time on here I will be able to figure it out, but could someone help me out in the mean time.
It is mini review. the mte is the brand. ssc p7 is the led. 2 mode is the brightness levels of the flashlight ie high and low.

budashoots

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for answering my questions. I can see that I will need to keep a pad ready to help with the study I will need to do. Wow I had know idea what went into a flashlight.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've read several reviews of this light and can't find this piece of information: is the switch a forward or reverse clicky?

Is it different between the 2-mode and 5-mode versions?

Now, this one isn't so easy: if it's a reverse clicky, does anyone have an idea of how to convert it to forward?

Thanks!

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm not breaking any CPF rules because I started a separate thread yesterday to ask the question I'm about to ask here, but nobody has responded in that thread...

I would like to know if anybody has compared the MTE SSC P7 (especially the P7-D) to the MTE M3-2 (powered by an MC-E). There are a few important differences and I'd like to know what owners think of the differences. Namely:

- which throws better
- whether the one that throws better also floods better than a typical XRE Q5 light, like a Fenix L1D/LD10
- whether the lights come on in Medium every time you switch it on (I've read conflicting things about this)
- whether the 8 modes on the M3-2 becomes annoying

I can't decide between these two lights. I prefer fewer modes, so the P7-D. But I prefer more throw, as long as flood is still better than a typical XRE Q5's flood, so possibly the M3-2 (based on the beamshot pictures posted at DX).

And does anybody EDC their M3-2 or P7-D? I wonder if it's going to be too bulky to EDC.

Oh, and is 60 lumens too high for the low mode? (on the M3-2)