New Outdoor light Suggestions (U2 Replacement)

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
Let me start by explaining my circumstances and my current lights.
A few weeks ago I brought the dog for a walk in a wooded area and was comparing my Novatac 120P and Surefire U2 as outdoor lights. Well I had finished messing with the U2 and clipped it bezel down on my belt (I was in a rush and didn't want to thread the holster on my belt). Well after about half an hour of messing around in the woods I felt to my side and found my U2 was missing! I re-traced my steps in the snow two times that night and once the next morning but could not find it. Needless to say I was NOT happy.

This leads me to my current situation, I am well covered in the EDC department but need something more substantial for my secondary outdoor light. I currently have a Liteflux LF2X, Surefire E1L, Novatac 120P, Zebralight H30 and a P7 Magmod along with other small lights that don't need mentioning. I have had a few fenix lights but sold them or gave them away.

I have been looking at the Dereelights because of their use of the Q3 5A emitter, spending some time in the outdoors with my 'cold' 120P I have begun to appreciate a more accurate light spectrum. The MC-E is also very appealing because of the high output, but the 'cool' spectrum and high draw from 2xCR123s kind of puts me off.

I have also contemplated picking up another U2 but I can't bring myself to put out that much $$ for older emitter technology (even though the light itself is one of the best). The UA2 and UB2 also look very nice but... well... you know.

My criteria are as follows:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Well balanced beam: more throw than the U2 but still with decent flood
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Simple UI: no strobe or SOS
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Price: under $150ish
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Battery config: 2xCR123 – I DO NOT want to get into Li-ion for this light
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Build quality: VERY high, obviously not custom quality for this price though

I haven't really done one of these in a while so feel free to ask me for clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help
Chris

Toaster

Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-III M with Q3-5A LED (warm tint option). See the review here. Outdoor beamshots of the Jet-III M with regular Q5 LED can be found here. You can purchase it from here with code 'cpfjet' giving you a 10% discount.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
What's wrong with picking up a U2A? SSC P4 emitter, with more throw than the U2 but still decent flood (as you ask), etc etc, otherwise same as U2 but with longer runtimes.

electric sheep

Enlightened
Love my Dereelight Cl1H R2, very very bright and excellent throw from what i know so far. My Garden opens out onto wild gardens 200m to the edge and it throws out to light the edge structures.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
What's wrong with picking up a U2A? SSC P4 emitter, with more throw than the U2 but still decent flood (as you ask), etc etc, otherwise same as U2 but with longer runtimes.

There is nothing wrong with it at all, my U2 was my favorite light and the improvements in runtime with the U2A would be great. They just seem to be going for more than I can justify spending at the moment, and I would like a light with improved colour rendering.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
How important to you is the 2x123A battery format?

I recently got a Fenix TK20 (2xAA), and I'm very happy with it. It has a selected warm LED tint, two brightness levels, and very good throw for its size. Although it can use alkaline batteries, you will get the best performance with NiMH or L91 lithium primaries.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
How important to you is the 2x123A battery format?

It is very important. My other camping lights are the Zebralight H30 and either the E1L or 120P. I don't want to start mixing in other battery formats.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Toaster,
I have not checked out the Jetbeam stuff much yet, not really sure why. I will have to invest some time and do some reading about them.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire C2 and Malkoff M60W :D

Smaller and brighter:whistle:

Still love my U2 though:eek:

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
Surefire C2 and Malkoff M60W

I considered exactly that set-up, I think that I would be better off with some modes, rather than just on/off. That lead me to consider the Dereelight 3SM 5A Q3 drop in with a Surefire C2 or 6P... so many choices!

I read the review on the Jetbeam and I don't think I would like the UI, i'm not a fan of tightening/loosening the head to change modes, and I think that 3 modes would be more useful for me than 2.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I considered exactly that set-up, I think that I would be better off with some modes, rather than just on/off. That lead me to consider the Dereelight 3SM 5A Q3 drop in with a Surefire C2 or 6P... so many choices!

I read the review on the Jetbeam and I don't think I would like the UI, i'm not a fan of tightening/loosening the head to change modes, and I think that 3 modes would be more useful for me than 2.

Add a 2-stage tailcap to the C2 and you are golden:D

That is my most used outdoor light at the moment.

You need this: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=698&language==

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
That could be the way to go.

I was also poking around here looking at MC-E beamshots and noticed there is a 5A tint out for them. That is another one of the main reasons holding me back from getting a MC-E dereelight, the lack of a warm tint. If Dereelight does start offering MC-Es in the 5A tint it might be over for me!

I realize I can just pick one up and mod the pill but it seems like a bit of a waste.