First Modded light - Idea Not yet abandoned...

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
So I was buying some some supplies and picked up some CR-123 batteries (4) to have as spares for my Inova T1.

When I got home I connected them (with electrical tape) + -|+ -|+ -|+ -| and tapped + wire to the + and - wires of my 50 W 12v Halogen and Voile, the light came on.

I am wondering what kind of run time can I expect from this configuration?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decent CR123 cells have something like four and a half watt-hours each (IIRC). In that configuration you'd thus have 18 watt-hours. With a 50 watt bulb, you'd therefore have a runtime of slightly more than 20 minutes.
Realistically, the voltage would probably slump nearing the end of the cells' life; this would make the bulb draw less current (and make a lot less visible light) for longer.

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
So that means I could run pair of 3 watt LED's for 3 hours, or 3 X 3 watt LED's for 2 hours right? I just might be learning something :)

If the above is True, then why would my Inova XO with a 4.8 watt LED and 2 CR123 post a suggested run time of 5 hours, wouldn't it only be around 2 hrs. Hmmmm????

I'll try and take a picture of my light housing tonight post the dimension to get some suggestions.

Kevin

Last edited:

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
So I resoddered everything up and tapped up my batteries again and the light worked great. However, I did notice the batteries got warm within seconds of use. Is this normal? I'll try to get a picture tonight

I am powering a 50 watt halogen from 4 3v CR123's.

With my first light mod complete, I think I'd like to take the 50 W halogen and replace it with something else. The 50 W flood is nice, but probably more spill than I need. Any suggestions for more spot, less spill, and less watts? I would also like to increase my run time.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're being worked very hard, and they aren't of the rechargeable type; it doesn't surprise me that they're getting hot. Note that after your 50W bulb stops delivering useful output, the cells are likely to have a decent amount of energy still left in them. Put them in a LED flashlight ("vampire" lights are especially good at this) and they'll deliver hours of runtime at reduced brightness.

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
My Inova XO should be perfect for this. I plan on taking the light out to with me tomorrow night skiing. I'll post back total running time as I should be out for around two hours and will use my XO to light my way home. Or maybe my xenon light will arrive in time.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nononono. No two-cell lights for vampire mode on CR123s. They can reverse the cells, and reversed CR123s have been known to go kaboom.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the above is True, then why would my Inova XO with a 4.8 watt LED and 2 CR123 post a suggested run time of 5 hours, wouldn't it only be around 2 hrs. Hmmmm????
Because the Inova's LED is rated at 4.8Watt, but the LED is not really driven at 4.8 Watts. Early on Inova over-spec'd wattage and lumens, but was usually spot-on for run-time. The next year they changed that with spot-on lumen spec and over estimated run-times. New marketing people I guess.

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
Well my Big Ed Xenon light arrived yesterday and it was Big Bust. Not the light I expected as it had great throw, but very little spill. The Big Ed is already packaged for the return.

So far, my homemade halogen is the working well with 4 Cr 123s, but I know it will not run long. It really fills a room with light and I think this is what I need for night skiing.

My goals for my next homemade light.

1. Increase brightness and spill for objects farther away (25 meters)
2. 2 hour run time minimum
3. Have a high and low (what are you using?)

Is there a halogen solution out there or should I just suck it up and really go to LED's?