Surefire KL4 question

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading some teasing info. on these, can anyone give me more definitive specs? I have two E2e's and an E1e and just might NEED one. Thanks.

Dave

paulr

Flashaholic
KL4 will work with the E2e, not the E1e. Needs two cells minimum.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I'm waiting on it too. But we don't know if it's gonna be HD or SE. We don't know about it's lumen output. We don't know about it's runtime. We only know about its look and that it works on the E2e.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Yes, but oddly, I also know I want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't realise there are different types of 5W Luxeon...

The KL4 will work on the E2e. It will also work on the E2.
From photos posted it's design has already changed from the proto-type photographed for the 2003 Catalog.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
From protos and photos I've seen and based on my own experience with the 5W LED's, I would be REALLY surprised if SF switched from HD's to SE's for the KL series. I would bet against it!

- Don

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was going to be a HD as well. I know that was the original intent. I'm frothing at the mouth as well. The KL1 has replaced my E1 incandescent head now I'm waiting for the KL4 to do the same for the E2. I just hope the beam is less purple then the KL1

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Geepondy,

Have you seen any purplish 5W's IE. Bin 5? I haven't. Best I've seen and heard of is bin 4 which I would call cool white. Even Bin 2 isn't too warm if you look at away from other light sources. It seems to me that in the 5W arena, the color issue won't be what it was with the 1W's. The rush will be for high luminous output bins; V's, W's and let's hope for some X's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I wonder if SF is fighting thermal issues. I made a 750mA 5W head for my E2e, 1" dia x 1" long, with a 1oz+ copper slug inside. I was able to do a 1 hr burn only by switching hands many times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . It doesn't have the size and fins of a KL1 which might help a little. I suspect that whatever they come up with is going to get hot too, but so does my 9P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,

Heat will be an issue for extended run times but I suspect that in most cases, the KL series will not be the kind of light that is run for those lengths of time. (Aside from run tests here on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) The other thing to consider is that SF will not be over driving the LED's.

I do know that SF engineering is cognizant of thermal issues and these are addressed in the design. Besides, SF gets premium Luxeons which convert more electrons into photons and less into phonons (sp?)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Don,

Hey, my V3T in that puppy is only supposed to emit 93% phonons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . (That article was a new on on me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

Size15's

Flashaholic
Phonon:
"The quantum of acoustic or vibrational energy, considered a discrete particle and used especially in mathematical models to calculate thermal and vibrational properties of solids."
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
-----------------

I agree with Don.

The tiny powerful E2e and SureFires in general are not intended for extended constant-on useage.
SureFire would have considered having to deal with heat from constant-on use.
I bet that your hands dealing with the E2e+KL4's heat is going to be more of an issue for constant-on use then how the KL4 is dealing with what you are subjecting it too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting, patiently at the moment, for the KL4. I have a couple nice ideas for cooling that I'd like to share, but I wouldn't know who to tell about it. I have a feeling it's something that could be patented.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Why do I continue to see posts about the KL4? Nobody has *any* solid information whatsoever; this 'speculation' (read: guesses...) only make people annoyed that they won't be able to buy one any time in the near future.

I could add my rather poorly educated guess about the KL4, but what's the point? And what's the point about 'wishing' for a particular feature?

SureFire is the absolute MASTER of delayed release(s) of products; crap, they can't even seem to get the E-series clickie tailcaps into production (which I am guessing will make the V82 holster too short for an E2e with one on it, but then, I'm only guessing, which is absolutely pointless, of course.)

What I do know is that SureFire doesn't even make a holster for an E2e with a KL1, or for the A2, and hasn't even announced any plans to make them.

My feeling is that SureFire should provide essential accessories for products *already* in production, rather than concentrating on introducing new products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

But that's just *my* opinion, which is just as worthless as all of the speculation about the KL4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Just wait. Period.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
and i thought sf pisses me off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif you go gandalf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Gandalf. Opinion and speculation, while do nothing to the production of KL4, are not worthless at all. If guessing and/or wishing are wothless, then why do people dream? dream does not make something come true, the same with guessing and/or wishing. But dreams do make people want to do something to make it come true, or serve as a means for people to prevail in something that they do not in real life. So what guessing and/or wishing do? Again, they do nothing directly, but perhaps, just perhaps some people over there at surefire hear the wishes and make it come true? I am sure there are other things that guessing and wishing useful for. They are not worthless.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Gandalf,

Your sig line seems to point towards your *sunny* disposition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You should be glad that SF fuels your dark fire! Do you go to a movie you doubt you will like and then discuss how bad and what a waste of money it was? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You say:

"Nobody has *any* solid information whatsoever..." How do you know that this is the case?

Your comments on the need for other product from SF is likely also one of the reasons we aren't seeing some of the stuff that *we* want. Consider the possibility that there is some part or accessory that was needed in the weapon light system by our military in the recent war. With over 3000 parts, I think there is much about SF and their production priorities that we don't, nor will we ever, know.

- Don