With what do I replace my Arc AAA?

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
My Arc AAA has been my constant companion for some years; but I've gone and lost it. What do you suggest, please?

Pierce.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Pierce,
Were you looking for something along the same lines, single level, long runtime, built like a tank....... or are you thinking about upgrading to something brighter, possibly with multiple levels?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm attached to my Arc - I'd end up replacing the sucker with another one.

Gerber makes an Arc clone, the Tempo. Not bad, kinda tacky looking.

I'll save the Fenix-fanatics the typing - the E01 falls in the same category.

Peak LED usually has an interesting selection, but I can't recommend a specific model.

-Trevor

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01 uses the same Nichia GS that the new Arc GS uses. Arc sends more current to their GS so it has a bit more output, but shorter run times than the E01. The E01 should run for around 10 hours in a regulated sun mode and then drop down into a moon mode that can easily go for another 10-20 hours. I got some 40 hours of light out of my E01. After around 24 hours it's very dim, but you could make your way around in complete darkness if you had to.

The E01 is a bit larger than the Arc. The E01 is about $15, the Arc GS is around $45 shipped.

dtsoll

Enlightened
If I lost my arc AAA I would buy another without even having to think about it. Doug:) I have two tho, just in case.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
The only light that I would consider replacing an Arc AAA with would be Enrique's Mako. If you don't mind a purple(!) tint beam and want something cheap, it's impossible to beat the Fenix E01. I gave away a dozen for Christmas and for a non-flashaholic they're great and most of the recipients liked 'em.

3044104897_5593f44ccc.jpg

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
I'm attached to my Arc - I'd end up replacing the sucker with another one.

Gerber makes an Arc clone, the Tempo. Not bad, kinda tacky looking.

I'll save the Fenix-fanatics the typing - the E01 falls in the same category.

Peak LED usually has an interesting selection, but I can't recommend a specific model.

-Trevor

I did my research before I even bought my first Fenix.

I would totally recommend a Fenix to anybody.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
go with the eo1, it will be brighter than your old arc (cause of efficency) but cost little enough that if you lose it again it's no big deal...

my .02

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Only downsides to my Fenix E01 vs Arc-P are the beam quality and larger size. Then again, My Arc is still a CS...

The Fenix has several advantages, as I see it: longer runtime; ability to fire up on a dead(er) cell; battery spring (instead of a battery crusher) for the negative contact; tailstanding capability; lower price.

But I still keep my Arc around (in a drawer), and am unwilling to part with it.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
I've owned a eo1 and a arc and anything the arc can do the fenix can do at 1/3 the price.

That's cool to know.

The 1 AAA Arc was the first LED flashlight I wanted to get because it was so small and I heard great reviews about them.

But, for over 50 dollars I could get a Fenix L2D.

Which I did.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Arc AAA-P lights, but have been carrying this 3-LED stainless steel Peak Matterhorn for the past few months instead.

This Matterhorn uses 3 "snow" LEDs which make it whiter and brighter than the Arcs. I have 2 more Matterhorns of HA aluminum variety and they weigh less than the stainless steel version.

matterhorn-ss-3led.jpg

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
I'm really surprised no one has brought up the Liteflux LF2X! I have a Fenix LD01 but everyone seems really big into Liteflux recently...maybe this is more so for the LF3X.

Anyway, I like the look of the LF2X and also like the keychain mount, but I have to say I'm kinda scared by the UI!!

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you really need the long run time of a light with a 5 MM emitter, I'd go for an L0D (LD01), or similar multi-level 1AAA light. A little longer than an E01, but it's sure nice to have the brighter levels when you really need them. And getting around 5 or 6 hours runtime on "Low" is fairly good run time.

And one more vote for Peak if you just have to have a light with a 5 MM emitter...Peak lights are VERY well built.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really surprised no one has brought up the Liteflux LF2X! I have a Fenix LD01 but everyone seems really big into Liteflux recently...maybe this is more so for the LF3X.

Anyway, I like the look of the LF2X and also like the keychain mount, but I have to say I'm kinda scared by the UI!!
I didn't bring up the LF2x because I was waiting to see what kind of AAA light the OP was looking for.

By the way, the LF2x doesn't have a keyring attachment point. What you are seeing is the breakaway neck wear mount..... which from what many owners report is way to easy to come loose to be considered a secure keyring attachment point...... however, one clever CPF member has a fairly simple mod for the clip attachment module that looks like it would work perfectly well.

As far as the UI goes, the way it reads (poorly written manual) makes it seem far harder than it really is. In reality, it is even easier to operate than the LD01. Turn the bezel a bit for low and then a bit more for high. It only becomes slightly complicated if you feel inclined to go into any of the programmable modes to change the light levels..... and that is easily learned with just a bit of time spent with the manual and looking at the Utube videos that explain it.

As for the original posters selection of a new light, I think we need a bit more information before meaningful suggestions can be made. He may not realize how many wonderful little AAA lights are now available, and how many options there are to choose from.

However :naughty: ....since suggestions are flowing.....there is this:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=206794&highlight=petite+killer