Fenix P1D One Hand Operation

snakyjake

Enlightened
How easy it is to operate the Fenix P1D one handed? Is there any fuss? Any fuss to switch between modes?

How does is compare to the LD01? I found an official Fenix website saying the LD01 has "Easy one-handed operation", but don't see the same claim for the P1D.

Thanks,

Jake

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
I am unable to use this light one handed.
I even use a special flashlight lube that makes it smoother and prevents the aluminum threads from galling.
Switching between modes with two hands is not a problem.
+1 for the Leef body.

LightScene

Enlightened
All Fenix twistys can be difficult to operate one-handed. It generally depends on the fit of the o-ring. They usually give you one back-up. If that one doesn't fix the problem then you are out-of-luck. Some of the P1D's had loose threads. My last one was like that. When I removed the o-ring the light had no integrity and couldn't be operated, so I returned it.
Even if you get one that you can turn it on and off one-handed, you won't be happy about having to do it 3 times quickly to get to High mode. So basically I would say it's a 2 handed light.

If you use RCR123s with the P1d then you basically have a one mode flashlight, which can be good or bad, but it makes you feel like it's crippled.

If you want a one-handed light, you should get a clicky. The price of the P1D plus the Leef body puts a lot of RCR123 clicky lights into contention. I would recommend spending some time to figure out which one will be best for you. I wish I could recommend one, but I haven't needed one for many months and a lot of nice new ones have hit the market in that time.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
I've own the P1D Q5 for over a year as an EDC - my only EDC. I'll say one-handed operation is easy if you only turning it on to get to the primary mode. Trying to one-handedly get to the other modes gets a little tricky and occasionally I would not get the desired mode. Overall, with some practice and a good lube ( I use silicon lube), one handed operation is possible.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I know this is over a month old but here goes anyway....

One handed operation of the p1d is easy!!!!!
All you do is twist the head in to the point just before the light turns on,
then with a little pressure push the bezel/head into the body.
If you have screwed the head in far enough this should be very easy and require very little pressure.
repeat this until you have the mode you want then screw the head in completely.................ta daaa......easy one handed operation, including changing of modes for the p1d.

Dan FO

Enlightened
If you buy a Leefbody it's a great addition for this light.

:twothumbs I only have 2 Fenix lights and they both have Leef bodies. It has the rock solid McGizmo switch and the Leef bodies are overbuild tough! If it wasn't for the Leef bodies I wouldn't own a Fenix.:sssh:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
as said it probably depends on idividual lights, but for what its worth mine operates easily with one hand

however i also recommend getting the leef body for it, the P1D really is a fantastic light

:)

Crenshaw

PS: this is my first post from my N810!