stanley maxlife minitripod quick review

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just got a bargain today. I was at Target looking at clearance items in the coleman section and at times I scan items to make sure they are not lower than the sticker. on the end cap of the aisle was a clearance shelf and there was a little stanley tripod..... :ohgeez: you gotta be kidding? I grabbed the box and looked at it.... and thought.... oh $11 price tag, lets scan it for fun...... BLEEP... $4.24!!.... try again..... yup.... and I took it home with me.
HERE
is the stanley info about it. I will summarize it myself.
folded up and straight it is 6 inches long 2 inches wide at the light engine and 1 1/2 inches at the legs. The legs can pop open via a button or grabbing one of them and the head flips to 4 settings for straight up on the legs to about 15 degrees pointing below horizontal. It has a stiff reverse click switch and 3 settings low (1led at bottom) med (2leds at top) high (all 3 leds). The current draw I got off nimh was about 30/55/75ma approx. It uses 3 AAAs one in each leg and has a low power warning thing I haven't seen yet.

How does it work? mechanically it is a nice useful looking gadget... it has optics on all 3 LEDs giving a *ball* of light and they are focused at the same spot so it just looks brighter and brighter as you click it like a spotlight. It puts out decent light and should run close to 10-12 hours off 3 LEDs and 24-30+ hours off 1 led I would guess off a 800mah AAA. If you are looking for a bright light.... forget this but for a useful long runnning light
The light is designed rather well and can be used as a normal clicky in the middle flashlight easily.
I may try and mod it for a cree or something later.