Home Depot Husky vs Fenix L1T

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
After a good experience gifting a light to hopeful flashaholic I decided to pick up a few extra giveaways. While in the Home Depot with a Christmas gift card I ventured over to their lights and picked up a pack of two single AA size aluminum lights with keychains. Couldn't beat the price at $4.97 for the pair.

They have an aluminum body, Oring construction and reverse clicky tailcap. But it does happen to be the stiffest clicky I have on any light.

Beam is good quality, not great but good for a sub $3 light and I'm probably getting 10-15 lumens from it. I was impressed for $2.50.

What intrigued me most is illustrated in the picture below showing the resemblance to my Fenix L1T. Now I'm in no way advocating the build quality as even close but the resemblance I believe points to Depot sourced the same design, and probably the same company to build some lights for them.

http://[URL="http://www.mcconnellsweb.com/cf_images/husky.jpg"]www.mcconnellsweb.com/cf_images/husky.jpg[/URL]

Then again maybe only interesting to me and I just want to get my post count up:whistle:

Bob

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have this light, which is very similar to your HD Husky AA.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0275488

FWIW, the L1T switchcap works on the micro-center light. So if I really wanted to revive the microcenter light (which suffers from switch intermittency), I could just get an L1T switch and swap it for $6. But... its not worth the investment.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Husky 1AA and a Fenix L1D and have a hard time believing that the same company builds both. The build quality of the Fenix seems so much better to me.

flashlife

Enlightened
What intrigued me most is illustrated in the picture below showing the resemblance to my Fenix L1T. Now I'm in no way advocating the build quality as even close but the resemblance I believe points to Depot sourced the same design, and probably the same company to build some lights for them.

husky.jpg

Then again maybe only interesting to me and I just want to get my post count up:whistle:

Bob

Also looks like a Nuwai X-1 (aka, River Rock 1 watt):
nuwai_x1_005.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Flashlight Reviews)

...and several from DX and others:
sku_18305_3_small.jpg
sku_18629_1.jpg

Seems this basic style of light is everywhere. :)
Tho', in your side-beside pic, the resemblance is striking, but the Fenix better quality shows thru.

arpit

Banned
Products like this are built in factories. The people who brand the lights don't own the factories. Instead, they outsource the construction. The factories provide a catalogue of shapes they can use, and a check-list of components and specifications. The branders, such as Fenix and Husky, specify what LED, what type of contacts, what type of switch, what type of finish, what circuitry, etc. and get a price for a run.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I think I saw a similar light, smith and wesson branded , at a northern tool outlet and other than the name it appeared to be the same light.
Except the S&W brand was $20.
I almost bought the S&W brand but they were out of them at the time.
I am glad I did not pay that much since finding the HD version for cheap.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Products like this are built in factories. The people who brand the lights don't own the factories. Instead, they outsource the construction. The factories provide a catalogue of shapes they can use, and a check-list of components and specifications. The branders, such as Fenix and Husky, specify what LED, what type of contacts, what type of switch, what type of finish, what circuitry, etc. and get a price for a run.

FYI, Fenix operates their own factory. They are the ones who make lights branded for other people, such as the new Leatherman lights which are Fenix.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

please name your source for such information. Speculatve hear-say is NOT welcome on this forum:mad: