Flashlight Maintenance???

nvfenixt1

Newly Enlightened
I want to know what a guy needs to properly maintain his flashlights. I've got a Fenix T1 and LD01 Stainless Steel.

-#1: Cleaning: How often; what chemical(s) are safe to use on the aluminum or stainless steel threads, the "O" rings and circuitry?

-#2: Lubrication: What product do you use to lubricate the "O" rings? Do you lube the threads also? And if so, what lube do you use on the threads. I guess this would be most important on the LD01 since its on/off action is a twisty.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1) Remove o-rings
2) Clean threads using plain rubbing alcohol and a rag or makeup sponge (no q-tips or paper towels, nothing that will leave lint/bits)
3) Thoroughly coat o-rings in lube then put them back on
4) Thoroughly lube threads (both threads, the male and female)

You should only need a drop or two to lube threads, any excess will squeeze out if you use too much.

If you're interested in getting a flashlight-specific lube, the three most popular choices are Nyogel 760 (http://www.lighthound.com/NyoGel-760..._p_6-1343.html), Nanolube StClaire (http://www.nanolube.com/), and Sandwich Shoppe Krytox 50/50 (http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.co...roducts_id=710).

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent suggestions StarHalo. Many of us also like to clean all of the battery contact points when we get a new light. You can use the same rubbing alcohol, but I prefer to use contact cleaner. You can find this at Radio Shack or other electronic stores. I think 4sevens also carries Deoxit and Progold. You usually use Deoxit for heavily oxidized contacts that need to be cleaned..... then you would apply Progold as a preventive agent. I also clean the contacts on my batteries before putting them in.

While I know it's frowned on to use Q-tips, I do find it helps sometimes when reaching down inside a battery tube to get the spring in the bottom or up into a head to get the positive node. Be sure and don't let any fluid drip down into the head, so hold the head UP when doing this, and do try to avoid leaving any bits of lint.

Also be aware that different lights have different electrical paths, some use the threads, some use an inner tube and some (like the NovaTac 120P) have an inner spring that conducts separate control signal info, while still other lights might use the end of the battery tube to make contact with an inner surface on the head for changing levels etc....... so it's important to know how your particular lights work in order to keep those areas clean and your lights performing at their best.

And, if that's enough, it's important to to occasionally check that things haven't loosened up in your light. Often there are screw in retaining rings in both the head and tail that keep those pieces in place, and it's possible that they can come a bit loose.... giving erratic performance, so simply check those from time to time, along with the bezel and any other relevant pieces.

Ok, how often to do all this. I think that depends on the light and how often it's used. I do most of my lights once or twice a year and that seems to be plenty. Your mileage may vary.

nvfenixt1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both very much! My flashlight service manual is now complete... :)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an electronic type switch without a rubber boot over it, occasionally you may need to clean residue coming from your hands that builds up between the switch and the switch housing. Lights like the LF5XT and the LF3XT have switches like this that may occasionlly need washing using a bit of dish washing detergent and then rinsing them under a running faucet. I do this whenever the switches seem less responsive or more spongy. It really helps.