Diamond Red LED for Mag Lite

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
I received the Diamond Red LED for a C or D cell Mag Lite today. It says it is for 2 or 3 cells max. It appears that this is direct driven. I tried it tonight in a 2 C cell Mag Lite first, which I plan to use for coyote hunting. The light was okay for about 60 yards. I then put it in a 3 D cell Mag Lite. Much more light, I could see trees and brush about 100 yards. I want to use the 2 C mag with out going to a 3 C cell, so how can I pact 4.5 volts into a 2 C Mag lite? Anybody know of a type of battery that will provide about 4.5 volts in the size of 2 C cells? In WI, we can use a lite at night for point of kill, but not shinnig to spot coyotes; so a long run time is not important.

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
You can try a single Li-ion battery. You'll need a spacer/adapter though.

A single Li-ion battery is 3.6 volts. I believe this LED is meant to be drive between 3 and 4.5 volts, due to the warning not to use 4 or more C or D cells. I tried it in a 2 cell and 3 cell Mag Lite. The 3 cell was brighter. I though trying two C123's, 6 volts, but I think that might smoke the LED. This maybe a Luxeon III LED. I looked up the voltage for a Luxeon III and the max was 4.7 volts. I don't know how much they can be over driven? Anybody have any thoughts on this?
In the meantime I'm going to get a 3 C cell Mag Lite and starting hunting with it. I mount the lite on top of my scope.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this mod for an idea of how to use 4/5 Sub C size cells to do exactly what you want. That one direct drives a p7 but it's exactly the power source you are looking for in a 2C.

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
Just buy the 3c mag light and be through with it.
That is what I plan to do today, buy a 3 cell Mag Lite. Although, I' will be hanging around here and watching for more powerful red LEDs and try some simple mods in the mean time. The 2 C and 3 C cell mags with the red LED appear usable for my needs right now. I've modded the tail cap and added a pressuer switch. I tested it last night on the gun in the dark, well almost dark, with a partial moon and two feet of snow on the ground. Next is to try an Asperical lens and see how this works with the red LED.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi,
I'd be interested in seeing/hearing of the results of the red led with an aspheric lense in a mag :) I have ordered a red led off DX and the Q5 D cell drop-in and aspheric from KD. I was planning on swapping the emitters and hoping that the circuitry in the drop-in will handle the different emitter. It is supposed to supply 700mA regardless of whether you use 2 or 3 cells.

Paul.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may not be able to focus it very well. Without the reflector, drop-in's like the Diamond and the TerraLux have nothing to compress the bulb holder spring.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
I found this review just, it appears to work well for focus but not for flood. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm From what I have read I was hoping for better results with the kd drop-in and reflector removed combined with the aspheric. The video of this combination I found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9GjhiFtCa8 appears to be very usefull? It's basically a larger more powerfull version of the X2000 focusing torch I have. I'm very pleased with the X2000 as an all rounder ie, everyday work-light/edc with the option of mounting to an air-rifle scope if I fancy it. :)
I wasn't aware of the diamond red drop in till I saw wachelhunds thread, it's a very easy alternative if you have a 3 cell mag :)

Paul.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi Wachtelhund,
any update yet with an aspheric lense and the diamond drop in? I've recieved my q5 drop-in and aspheric from KD but not the red led as yet.

Paul.

lightforce2

Enlightened
I've placed a Cree XR red led into a Tiablo A9 host, the driver is a 1000ma 5 mode (preffer less modes) sku6190 from DX. Operates off 1 x 18650.
The led is rated to 700ma, at this stage its working perfectly at 1000ma with no thermal problems anywhere. this light is designed for telescopic sight usage

Are the Luxeon reds brighter than the Cree's?

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wachtelhund,
any update yet with an aspheric lense and the diamond drop in? I've recieved my q5 drop-in and aspheric from KD but not the red led as yet.

Paul.

Paul, I have not received the asheric lens yet. I have the red LED in a 2 C Cell maglite that I wired with a pressure tail switch and mounted on a gun for night hunting. It works well. It throws more light in a 3 D cell mag but that is too big for my needs. I would really like to have the RED LED in something like a P6 or Ultrafire with a pressure tail switch.

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
I've placed a Cree XR red led into a Tiablo A9 host, the driver is a 1000ma 5 mode (preffer less modes) sku6190 from DX. Operates off 1 x 18650.
The led is rated to 700ma, at this stage its working perfectly at 1000ma with no thermal problems anywhere. this light is designed for telescopic sight usage

Are the Luxeon reds brighter than the Cree's?

LF, Hum! This sounds interesting. I have no idea if the luxeons are brighter then the CREEs. I'm new here and this is all new to me. The lingo loses me. You did this mod yourself?

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Paul, I have not received the asheric lens yet. I have the red LED in a 2 C Cell maglite that I wired with a pressure tail switch and mounted on a gun for night hunting. It works well. It throws more light in a 3 D cell mag but that is too big for my needs. I would really like to have the RED LED in something like a P6 or Ultrafire with a pressure tail switch.

I was on the local golf course last night seeing what the range of the 2d aspheric mag was like with the KD Q5 dropin and fresh batteries. My friend and I decided the usefull range was between 200 and 250 yards. My red led will hopefully arrive soon, I'll go back up there and see what it's like when I've changed the emitter.
Have you seen that this is now available for the TK20? http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=40 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk20.html theres also a red filter available for it http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/accessories/fenix_tk_red_filter.html

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
I was on the local golf course last night seeing what the range of the 2d aspheric mag was like with the KD Q5 dropin and fresh batteries. My friend and I decided the usefull range was between 200 and 250 yards. My red led will hopefully arrive soon, I'll go back up there and see what it's like when I've changed the emitter.
Have you seen that this is now available for the TK20? http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=40 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk20.html theres also a red filter available for it http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/accessories/fenix_tk_red_filter.html

Paul, My aspheric lens arrived today and I tested it tonight. I didn't help much, in fact I think the throw was better without it and replaced it with the original lens. I want to stay way from red filters as they cut down on too much light going out.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
With the diamond drop-in is the emitter situated too far forward to achieve the right effect with the aspheric? Can you focus it enough so that the shape of the led is all that is projected? Maybe hold the lense infront of the torch freehand to see if it needs moving back. If it does it would be easy to do by removing the switch and fixing the cam/spring mechanism. Mine works well when the emitter is in the same position as the first main photo on this page http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1777
It allows you to focus fully or de-focus enough to get a decent spread of light while still having a good range by screwing the head fully in :)

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
My red cree led has arrived and so far it hasn't failed when driven by the KD driver :) According to google earth the trees at the back of mine are 460 feet away, when focused. You can see them being lit even tho its not complete darkness at the back of the house. It should be even clearer through a scope with it's superior light gathering capabilities to the naked eye :)

Paul.

Ps You get an image of an 8 pointed star as opposed to a grid with the Q5.