Fenix PD20 reflector: still no good

CrazyCarl

Newly Enlightened
Fenix advertises a new/better reflector on the new PD20 and pd30 flashlights, but I don't see what is so good about it. It still has the same rings around the hotspot. This image actually looks better than the real beam.

pd20beamgl0.jpg

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try a Seoul light or one with a heavy orange peel. The Liteflux LF3XT has a heavy orange peel. Novatacs or HDS have Seoul emitters (and Golden Dragon emitters).

Novatac and HDS lights are much higher quality lights and you will probably be paying double the PD20 price.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Fenix P/L series reflectors have better throw and the rings are caused by the cree emitter. I agree with you that the rings aren't nice to look at on a smooth wall but it shouldn't be a real issue for most situations.

The best beam pattern I have seen in terms of cree rings, is from the Fenix TK10 with its heavily textured reflector.

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Tony M. I thought the "new and improved" reflectors were to give better throw (which gives up some "purtyness" on white walls). I have the normal P3D Q5 and I wouldn't mind having the new reflector of the PD30 to give me some more throw.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you're wanting a smooth-as-possible beam profile on a pocket EDC, look into the Lumapower Incendio, Horus Titanium, or the Novatac series.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supersmooth beams and Cree emitters don't get along very well.
It's *possible* to make a Cree give a decent beam, if not *entirely* ring-free, by designing a proper reflector, but it's probably simpler to just use a SSC emitter. An emitter swap often gives good results.

youreacrab

Enlightened
+1

Maybe, the rings just appear in white wall hunting...

no they also appear outdoors, as well, as a hotspot that does not blend smoothly into the spill. a ringy beam pattern is just that, no need to make excuses.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my pd20. I have been using it for three weeks and never noticed the rings unitil just now when I shined it on a white wall to see what the fuss is about. It real use the rings are not noticable.

Bill

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Supersmooth beams and Cree emitters don't get along very well.
It's *possible* to make a Cree give a decent beam, if not *entirely* ring-free, by designing a proper reflector, but it's probably simpler to just use a SSC emitter. An emitter swap often gives good results.

Sorry to disagree ... :nana: ... but:

1) it is possible to design a good reflector for the Cree. McGizmo has a line of those and they are almost perfect for th erings and make the most useful reflectored beam of a LED I know

2) The SSC will have a different beam profile, giving up the advantages of the Cree, namely the possibility of a concentrated spill and generous spot (=useful beam midrange). It is not the same as the Cree, they are not interchangeable.

:)
bernie

CrazyCarl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all.

I was about to insist that it does annoy me during "real use", but I think I have been blaming the "ring" when the real problem is the fast drop-off from hotspot to flood. My eyes can adjust to the bright center, but then the area immediately outside of the hotspot has poor visibility. The slightly brighter ring surrounding all of that is mere insult on top of the injury from the disc-like hotspot.

Can anyone tell me which of these fancy McGizmo reflectors will fit the PD20? I see a couple on 4sevens.com, but that model isn't listed. I also don't understand what "joker" and "unpotted" refer to.

Also, would some kind of very mild diffuser lens be a good idea instead?

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened

no they also appear outdoors, as well, as a hotspot that does not blend smoothly into the spill. a ringy beam pattern is just that, no need to make excuses.

I agree. For me, the dark ring around the hotspot totally ruins the transition from spot to spill. To my eyes, the dark ring "helps" (and by helps, I mean lowers usability) make the spot look brighter than it really is; which personally causes me to use the spot of my light only, while totally ignoring the spill.

I noticed that my Fenix T1 that came from 4sevens.com slightly defocused (even after they replaced the head/reflector assembly). It alleviated the dark ring associated with most cree lights. I absolutely loved that beam. :) . I think most Fenix T1's are loctited from the factory that way (my T1's beam is very similar to most of the reviewers beam here - it lacks the "Cree" ring).

Can the PD20's reflector be slightly defocused? If it can, you may want to try that and then loctite it when you find a good blend of spill/spot.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to disagree
1) it is possible to design a good reflector for the Cree.
Where's the disagreement? I said the same thing, more or less. :p

2) The SSC will have a different beam profile, giving up the advantages of the Cree, namely the possibility of a concentrated spill and generous spot (=useful beam midrange). It is not the same as the Cree, they are not interchangeable.
I never said this.
I said a swap can give a smoother beam, not that it'll give the same results. Perhaps I should have been clearer...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't know if I am the only one here but when I use my L2D Q5 to find trail markers it see them. Also I don't trip on stuff in the dark for the most part. Cree rings and transitions from hot spot to flood withstanding. I just don't see any rings in the field so how is the reflector of the newer model still not good as the older seems just fine. However maybe others are more sensitive. For example I can't stand green tint. It gives me a headache more so in a headlamp.

cjs4760

Newly Enlightened
Granted my PD20 is my 1st real LED, but I LOVE it. Small, v.useful light levels for both indoor and out, and in my totally-newbie estimation, a nice beam w/ nice spill.

That ring in your photo? Yeah, I can make that too, but it also depends (changes/softens) w/ distance from the wall.

And frankly, outside, it's a non-issue.

Love my PD20 :kiss:

But already scheming to grow the family :laughing:

-Chris

LumenMan

Enlightened
I have to say that my PD20 has a flawless white beam, with no tint & great throw. I guess I got lucky in the LED lotto ! :party:

yuk

Newly Enlightened
Really disappointed with my PD20 reflector. It's a smooth one, but again... :shakehead

2w1z1xu.jpg