MC-E and P7 lights designed for throw?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam is claiming 500 meters? IDK, maybe 500 feet. I'll believe it when I see the reviews. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Jetbeam is claiming 500 meters? IDK, maybe 500 feet. I'll believe it when I see the reviews. :)

x2...:grin2:

IMHO it should be able to hit 500 feet, whether or not its still a tight beam at that point remains to be seen.. I wonder if an OP reflector of any geometry can maintain a tight beam at that distance.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quad-die emitters are by design very hard to adapt to throwy flashlights. The four dies have a larger area, and this gives a light pattern that's hard to properly focus. The P7 is floodier than the MC-E, from what I've read.

If wanting a high-output thrower, I think the best choice is to go with a multi-emitter Cree R2 light. You'll find some reflectored ones on sale in normal places, but if you want super-throw aspheric I think there are only custom-made ones.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
How about 500 otf lumens from the new Sunlite Eagle 16w Far Projection head? That is their aim.

The advantage this has over the P7 and MC-E is that it is not using multi emitters packed together. The Sunlite led will be a little larger than 1.5x1.5mm and still be small enough for tight beam projection. Reflector will be 45mm diameter, no bigger than the DBS.

It is still several months out though.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Quad-die emitters are by design very hard to adapt to throwy flashlights. The four dies have a larger area, and this gives a light pattern that's hard to properly focus. The P7 is floodier than the MC-E, from what I've read.

Thats kind of why I brought up this thread. It looks like MC-E / P7 lights seem to be adaptations, rather than designs developed around these emitters.

So I 'm kind of wondering if anyone has taken a stab at a BIG-DEEP dish reflector to get a more focused beam. A light that big would be more of a spotlight than a flashlight.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats kind of why I brought up this thread. It looks like MC-E / P7 lights seem to be adaptations, rather than designs developed around these emitters.

So I 'm kind of wondering if anyone has taken a stab at a BIG-DEEP dish reflector to get a more focused beam. A light that big would be more of a spotlight than a flashlight.

Well I doubt you'll ever be able to properly focus a quad-die emitter in any smooth reflector no matter how deep it is as you'll always get the donut hole. It may be possible with a big narrow beam optic, but there haven't been too many of those out there for the P7 or MC-E. I believe Litemania sells reflectors and optics designed for the P7. I remember when the P7s first came out and people were doing Mag mods with them. I remember people saying the throw was still really good with a stock smooth Mag reflector but that there's a donut hole. The P4 throws really well in a Mag, so there's some correlation there with why it does the same witha P7.

The Jetbeam M1X has a big 58mm reflector with what looks like a LOP/MOP reflector, so it maybe among the best P7/MC-E flashlights available. The other one I can think of would be the Dereelight DBS MC-E.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
I think you are going to have to get in line for Neoseikan's Legion II for a real quad-die led thrower.

jenskh

Enlightened
If this is correct or not, just depends on what light level (lux) you require at the limit for what you would call the throw. If we use 1 lux as the limit, it would require a representative illuminance of 250 000 lux@1m which would be quite impressing...

neoseikan

Enlightened
I think you are going to have to get in line for Neoseikan's Legion II for a real quad-die led thrower.

Legion II can get a 30000+ lux reading@1m, but still not a thrower like single-die lights. IMO, the best range for it is 10~50 meters.
Let's leave the 500-meter-works to huge spot lights.
I hope you will enjoy the UI of Legion II.