Help please

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
Hello all

forgive my first post being a question but I am looking for a decent torch and would like some advise. I'm looking at a second hand surefire 6p

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71108

or a second hand surefire Surefire E2D LED Defender with KX2 Dual output head (body and head are different colours)

Either of these will probably do me or I also find a fenix which new are less but wouldn't know which one to go for !

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF ! :wave:

A few things to consider:

1) the 6P is an incan light, the others are LED. The 6P will be less bright and have less runtime, but have other advantages like color rendition, but that is a topic for itself, th eLED vs incan

2) The E2DL has teeth that might be uncomfortable, depending on your carry method.

3) Fenix lights ... you'll find info aplenty on CPF. One possibility is to go to www.fenix-store.com and have a look at what is currently available and then start thinking and comparing.

The best approach though is to define your needs, your criteria, and look for a light that meets those. Nowadays we have an abundance of quality lights and one can be picky and will find something regardless.

The ligths you name are quite different in many ways and it is difficult to give an educated opinion about what would be best for you. After all, you don't want me to tell you what is best for me :D

If I were you, I'd tell us your needs and wants, and see what come up.

bernie

deranged_coder

Enlightened
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Welcome!

To reiterate what bernie has said, please better define what you are looking for in the flashlight and we can better give you feedback / recommendations. Probably the best way to do that is to take a few moments to fill out our **Flashlight Recommendation Checklist** so we have a better idea of what your needs are and can better recommend a light that will meet your own specific needs/wants. :)

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
Hello all

Hi!

Fill this out? :thumbsup:

from superflytnt

What will you be using it for?
Do you only want high output or is runtime a concern?
Do you have a preference for battery type?
What type of beam do you like, floody or tight/throwy?
Do you want single level or multiple levels hi/med/low?
User interface (UI) do you want simple hi/low or a complicated programmable UI?
What kind of switch: twisty, side click, rear click, forward/reverse?
How much $$ are you looking to spend?

Ben

Edit: I guess I was too late and should have searched...

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. +1 on everything Kiessling said.

I will add that SureFire makes a 6P Led light which is 80 lumens. The 6PL is one mode only. The E2DL is 120 lumens. This light has two modes, low and high. These lumen values are only for comparisons between SureFire lights. Both lights take 2 CR123 batteries, and both are great lights.

An equal 2 cell CR123 light in the Fenix would be the PD30. This is also a great light rated at 215 lumens. It is about equal in brightness to the E2DL SureFire although the SureFire will throw farther because of its brighter hot spot. The Fenix also has 4 brightness levels, SOS and Strobe. Again it will help CPF members with light choices if you give us your uses.

Bill

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Fill this out? :thumbsup:

from superflytnt

What will you be using it for?
I live in the country and need a light for all things from going out and checking the bumps in the night, going to the shed to get beer, taking the bins out
Do you only want high output or is runtime a concern?
would prefer something with a higher runtime but it's very dark where I live so the brighter the better
Do you have a preference for battery type?
no
What type of beam do you like, floody or tight/throwy?
don't know
Do you want single level or multiple levels hi/med/low?
would prefer something that can light up for close work without being to bright but something that can see to the bottom of the garden if needed (100foot)
User interface (UI) do you want simple hi/low or a complicated programmable UI?
not bothered about disco lights, just 2 modes would be good
What kind of switch: twisty, side click, rear click, forward/reverse?
i like the rear click
How much $$ are you looking to spend?
£50

Ben

Edit: I guess I was too late and should have searched...

thanks for the comments folks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
OK ...

you'll need a light that has at least some throw if you wanna check out bumps in the night.

The brightness of the typical LED light with current LEDs will suffice.

The interface you want is in the SF E2DL, SF E1B, SF E1L and SF E2L with the E1L being a bit on the weak side. Unfortunately, your price range makes it difficult to get said SFs except for B/S/T opportunities.

This leaves the huge army of more affordable lights like Fenix et al, but there you usually won't find a simple interface. You'll have to listen to folks who actually know these kinds of lights as I don't.

bernie

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are based anywhere around the Windsor/Bracknell/Staines area I'll pop over with a range of Incan and LED lights and you could try them to see what you want.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK20 is all you need. Simple interface, very rugged and definitely has enough throw and is bright enough. It is also less expensive than the Tk10 or TK11.

Bill

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's only a few quid difference between the tk10, tk11 & tk20 !!

In that case I would go for the 10 or 11. If you only need a couple of quid more I'm sure that is not that much longer in the boat to catch them. I personally like the 10 much better. I have owned the TK20 and the TK10 and the TK10 has a beautiful beam. I can't speak for the TK11 since I have not owned one but I believe it has a smooth reflector vs the orange peel refector on the 10.

The TK10 and TK11 take CR123 or the TK11 can take a 18670. The TK20 takes standard AA batteries.

Bill

Last edited:

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
In that case I would go for the 10 or 11. I personally like them much better. I have owned the TK20 and the TK10 and the TK10 has a beautiful beam. I can't speak for the TK11 since I have not owned one but I believe it has a smooth reflector vs the orange peel refector on the 10.

Bill

i've heard that surefire are overated, i like the look of the tk10 and tk11 but if I could get a high lumen led with tail switch and dual output that runs on rechargeables that would be great !!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've heard that surefire are overated, i like the look of the tk10 and tk11 but if I could get a high lumen led with tail switch and dual output that runs on rechargeables that would be great !!

I don't know if SureFire is overrated and I won't debate that here. The TK10 will take RCR123 batteries and is a nice light, however I did sell mine after buying a SureFire E2DL.

Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Fenix L2T V2.0 would work better for you. Lower price, 2 mode, forward clickie, AA powered, and thinner. It will be bright enough for you uses and also a better light for eveyday carrying because of the smaller size. You can also get the L1D body for 1 AA use.

Surefire under rate there lumen. If they state 60 lumen, it means you will get a minimal 60 lumen out the front(after optical losses).

:welcome:

Glock27

Enlightened
If you'd get a AA model, a decent charger and NiMH, you'd use your light a *lot* more. I have a Fenix L2D, LD20, Olight T25 and a NiteCore D20. All great lights in AA format. If you got a Fenix, you could get another single AA body and have 2 options.
G27