Fenix LD01 REAL runtimes on ALL levels???

HighLumens

Enlightened
Hi all,
I' ve been looking for the Fenix LD01' s runtimes on this forum but I found only the runtime on high: there are no runtimes on low and medium.

Looking for it on other websites, I found them to be shorter than the L0D (on the same site):
LD01: http://light-reviews.com/fenix_ld01_ss/
L0D: http://light-reviews.com/fenix_l0d_ce/
I am quite disappointed: is the new model a step back from the previous model?

Is there anyone here who can tell us the results of his runtime tests on low and medium (and high)?

Thank you.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I've got with LD01 SS edition. Pretty close to what mev measured on the light-reviews.

With 1000mAh Sanyo AAA batteries would be runtime better but still far from 8.5 hours in low mode.

Last edited:

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I have been suspecting thsi with the amount of AAA my LD01 SS is using...

I haven't been able to do a run time test but it does not seem kosher.

They could be rating with intermittent use.

Haz

Enlightened
What about the aluminum one? Aren't LED's more efficient the cooler they run?

It appears they actually run shorter when they are cooled, I assume using Aluminum will be somewhat similar to dipping a titanium light in water drawing away the excess heat.

have a read of this interesting thread by McGizmo if you haven't had the chance to read it " A paradox to thermal relief??!?!? "
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/88983

Haz

Enlightened
That thread is showing performance of the battery in different temperatures, not the LED.

Sorry, i was thinking on the line the battery will run hotter in the titanium light compared to the aluminium light, so increase the runtime. Yes, I do think the LED will run more efficiently when it's cooled.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the aluminum one? Aren't LED's more efficient the cooler they run?

This could affect only the high mode runtime (which is very close to the 1 hour claimed by the manufacturer). In medium and low mode the light will not heat up.

Is the shorter runtime due to higher output on each level?

From my limited testing (ceiling bounce test) it looks like the low mode is more like 12-13 lumens which is more than advertised 10 lumens.

Last edited:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
If you read the review, the advertisement about the higher PWM not showing the pulsing effect is false.

Quoted from the review
"Fenix advertises the LD01 as being able to provide a visually consistent output without any PWM effects. During my tests however, there was visually noticeably PWM effect on both Medium and Low brightness levels."

So I guess it can't be the PWM causing the difference.

HighLumens

Enlightened
yeah, i had noticed that, but i thought it was a bad unit, or that the pwm was noticeably only while shaking the light (so it would have been improved...).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't think the AL or SS is an issue. I have the S2 that uses a Fenix LOD head in Stainless with Al body and the run times are the same as the LOD.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212996

There is no medium however the low (same lumens as LOD) is 10 hours 25 minutes with Energizer lithiums. Using 900 mAh 6 hours 32 minutes and 6 hours 25 minutes with standard Coppertop. The high is 1 hour 22 minutes with lithiums, 56 minutes with 900 mAh and 17 minutes with Coppertop.
Now the SS LD01 on high with 800 mAh looks just under one hour. Maybe a bit less but the battery used was 100 mAh less. The low is under 4-hours. My Fenix made S2 does not have a medium and guessing is the same as the LOD in everything else. So here is why I think it is the PWM. On high both Fenix lights don't use PWM and run time is the same. So being that the PWM is the only major difference with the possible exception of Q4 to Q5 LED might explain why the run time on low is shorter with the LD01 as the PWM is higher and is used on low and in the case of the LOD/LD01 on medium too. But again I am no expert.

Last edited: