Modding a Proton Pro?

scott

Enlightened
I wish the Proton Pro had the exact same UI as the Freedom, but it doesn't. Instead it's got that red LED for ramping up. I know others have replaced the red with a white one but am almost certain that this above my capabilities. (The only thing worse than a Proton with a red LED is a Proton that doesn't work at all!) So- can anyone point me to someone who can do this mod for me?

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious. What's so bad about ramping down from bright white?
I'll admit, there have been times where I'd prefer it too, but it's never been a deal-breaker for me.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I'm curious. What's so bad about ramping down from bright white?
I'll admit, there have been times where I'd prefer it too, but it's never been a deal-breaker for me.

because it ruins your night vision, i dont get what they were thinking, that light isnt even close to being a tactical light that would require a instant on high, its a friggin utility light and that should go dim->bright.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
One alternate solution is to consider the Photon ReX. It works just like the Freedom. The low is very low, less than the Pro's low white setting. It's charging ability is slick, too. And, you'd be surprised how bright it is for four little Nichias. I would also welcome a change in the Proton Pro, but I'd still want them to keep the red.

Geoff

scott

Enlightened
If you want to preserve your night vision, your better off with the red.

Yes, the red will preserve your night vision-- at the expense of being able to differentiate colors. (Ever tried to read a map with a red LED?) Using the bright white and then ramping down is annoying and shocking to the eye. I know others have switched out the red for a white, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

scott

Enlightened
One alternate solution is to consider the Photon ReX.

I already own (and very much like) the Rex. It's certainly not a Proton Pro though. The run time is pretty short, and it's never going to be as bright as the Proton. I have thought of just tethering a Freedom to a Proton, but it seems like a silly solution.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
Here are some borrowed (from the original thread) pics of the proton disassembly, just unsolder the 3mm LED and replace with a white one of the same size.
It worked for me but was very hard to get open.

pp1pg6.jpg

pp2ij7.jpg

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
(Ever tried to read a map with a red LED?)

I would consider map reading in the dark a somewhat special application and wouldn't expect a flashlight designer to consider that as a primary design consideration.
That said, one of the primary reasons I purchased the original Photon Proton was precisely for reading maps in the dark.:laughing: Star maps don't use red symbols so it's a good fit.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I wonder if the manufacturer could be convinced to make a small change to the UI to allow white ramp up without sacrificing red ramp up:

Currently f you press and hold for red, but release the instant the red LED comes on, and then press and hold again it ramps up the red LED at half power and rate, right? Or at least I think one of the older versions had that feature. Anyway they could just change it so that instead of ramping up the red LED at half power and rate, it switches over to white at minimum output and ramps up the white from that point. You could still ramp up the red at normal rate as long as you don't release the button the second red comes on. Does that make sense? Would it be too impractical for them to make that change to the circuit?

scott

Enlightened
I wonder if the manufacturer could be convinced to make a small change to the UI to allow white ramp up without sacrificing red ramp up:

I'm not sure if it's possible, and if so, I'm not sure they'd be willing. What I DO know, is that it absolutely WON'T happen until after I buy the current model. Five minutes after I buy a flashlight, it always seems to get an upgrade.

Yapo

Enlightened
I had an idea awhile back but have yet to try it as i wasnt sure if it would work...

Would it be possible take the red led out and wire that circuit to the cree led so that the cree can run in parallel with both Hi on start with ramp down n low on start with ramp up?

I know the voltage for the 3mm led is less than the cree but would it still be able to light it up at all?

But yeah it would have made many of us happier if they had made a white cree only proton pro as a basic version and a "special" version with the red and/or other coloured or UV.