P60 based light questions

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing some searching around and I think I'm interested in getting a P60 based setup to play with. I believe I understand the whole thing but just wanted to run this by the experts before I spend some $$.

Host: I believe I will get a Solarforce L2 based host, it seems like a decent quality without spending a large amount of money and also would like to get an 18650 extension for it.

For modules, I see voltage ranges quoted for input to some modules. Preferably, I'd like to get modules I could use with both 1 x 18650 and 2 x 18650, or is this going to require some compromise? For example, if I see an input range of 3V to 12V (just made up these numbers) is there any guarantee it will be regulated at those lower values or is this something I need to verify with each particular drop-in?

With this in mind, which R2/Q5 drop in should I be looking at for high output, good throw and regulated on 1 x 18650 and 2 x 18650 (prefer single mode), neutral/warm beam is also a plus.

As well, I see a few P7 drop ins floating around and they are direct drive at this point. Are there likely to be any MC-E or P7 modules in the near future that operate on 2 x 18650 and provide full 2.8A regulated output? Or is this pushing the limit of the heat handling of these hosts?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I've been doing some searching around and I think I'm interested in getting a P60 based setup to play with. I believe I understand the whole thing but just wanted to run this by the experts before I spend some $$.

Host: I believe I will get a Solarforce L2 based host, it seems like a decent quality without spending a large amount of money and also would like to get an 18650 extension for it.

I think the solarforce hosts are pretty decent for the money, can't go wrong IMO. keep in mind they cmoe stock with a reverse clicky (if that's ok with you)....

For modules, I see voltage ranges quoted for input to some modules. Preferably, I'd like to get modules I could use with both 1 x 18650 and 2 x 18650, or is this going to require some compromise? For example, if I see an input range of 3V to 12V (just made up these numbers) is there any guarantee it will be regulated at those lower values or is this something I need to verify with each particular drop-in?

Any module that is compatible with 2xCR123 (6V) or more is not going to be regulated on a single 18650 cell. Any module that IS regulated on an 18650 (usually rated something like "2.7-4.5V" by the manufacture) is NOT going to work on 2x18650s ( :poof: ).. So yes, there is a tradeoff, there is no module on the market that runs in regulation on either 1x or 2x 18650 cells. The issue translates into non-P60 host flashlights as well, you have to pick an LED flashlight based on whether you want regulation on an 18650, or compatibility with CR123s or RCR123s or extenders etc etc.

With this in mind, which R2/Q5 drop in should I be looking at for high output, good throw and regulated on 1 x 18650 and 2 x 18650 (prefer single mode), neutral/warm beam is also a plus.

A malkoff's M60 warm is going to be your best bet, at least with his module, you get full output down to around 3.8V, which means that on a single 18650 it will still start off in regulation, and dim down from there. Most other modules on the market that are designed to run on 2x18650 (or some other "high" voltage input) require more voltage overhead to stay in regulation, and only run about half power when running on a single freshly charged li-ion cell, dropping lower from there.

As well, I see a few P7 drop ins floating around and they are direct drive at this point. Are there likely to be any MC-E or P7 modules in the near future that operate on 2 x 18650 and provide full 2.8A regulated output? Or is this pushing the limit of the heat handling of these hosts?

I believe that DereeLight has a module that runs at ~2.4A with an MCE.... I know it's available as a configuration option in their CL1H right now, but not sure if the module is available separately yet, it's designed to run best on 2x18650 cells.

Latest posts