Multi MC-E or P7 light

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to research a multi LED light that has either MC-E or P7 LEDs. I want to use this as a work light. I want it to have at least 2000 torch lumens and use rechargable cells. The only lights I have found are either by Mac or Elektrolumens. They appear to be only available as a special build or if you can find someone selling one. Does anyone know of any other companies that make a light like this and have it available all the time? Thank you.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing mass produced that does what you want with LED's. HID can fulfil your requirements though.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I haven't seen any commercially available multiple emitter MC-E or P7 based lights. We're just now getting good commercially available single emitter MC-E and P7 based lights!

You'll need to go the custom route right now for the type of setup you want right now. Either contact one of the great builders directly or keep an eye on BST.

Good luck!

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to stay away from HID because of the risk of a failed balast and replacing bulbs. The light will be turned off and on a lot in its use. I guess my ambitions are a little ahead of production.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my ambitions are a little ahead of production.

They will be for a while.... if you want it, poke a custom modder. I'm currently working something similar to what you want, and I may or may not make a second to sell.... Just bear in mind, they won't be cheap. You're looking at 3 quad die LED's driven slightly above spec for 2000 OTF lumens, which is doable, but don't expect good throw unless you're using a very big host.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will be for a while.... if you want it, poke a custom modder. I'm currently working something similar to what you want, and I may or may not make a second to sell.... Just bear in mind, they won't be cheap. You're looking at 3 quad die LED's driven slightly above spec for 2000 OTF lumens, which is doable, but don't expect good throw unless you're using a very big host.
I concur! If you look up a TM-800x3 as a host light, I have two that I am replacing the innards with a mode driver and three P7s, and could get up to 2700 lumens. It is planned to have a jack to plug in for charging. Parts alone will run $300 in the raw to include a remade robust heat sync! I am excited about the prospects of the future of hight output LED lights.

This thread has some photos of the light:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171369&highlight=tm-800x3
As it stands with the old Lumileds its output is about 200 lumen max when overdriven.

Have you seen this 1600 lumen light? It is rechargeable. It is next to a TM-800x3.
headov7.jpg

ITs specs:
7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY
Offered here:
FS-7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was designing a triple P7 or MC-E Mag and then I found one made by Mac available. I've had it a week or so now and it is very very nice. The low is impressively low (D2DIM controller) and of course the high is amazing. This one has three AW C Li-Ion cells at 3300 mAH, so it should have a bit over an hour runtime at full power and lots more dialed down to lower levels. It has been shortened to about 2.5D M@g length. I especially like the dimmable feature and memory so you can select the amount of light required for the job and get that level each time.

I also have a single P7 and an MC-E light, and for just about anything they are enough (and a great deal more portable). A single 18650 cell driving a quad die led with some kind of dimming control (like the new D2Flex) is just about ideal for most uses. There are some DX lights and the Wolf Eyes Sniper that have several levels. (Single level P7/MC-E lights are too bright and get too hot in my experience.) These are far more available and cost effective (than a triple) and the difference between one P7 and 3 P7's is not required for most purposes. Also, a triple P7 or MC-E head will overheat at full power in almost any reasonably sized light if run for very long, especially if your hand is not providing liquid transfer cooling. 36 watts of LED really need fan cooling for continuous use. That's more power than most small soldering pencils. Even a single P7 in a Mag at full power gets hot after awhile. Many if not most P7 flashlights today run at less than full power and heat is one of the reasons. Of course a P7 or MCE run at less than full current still produces a lot of light and the efficiency is higher, so you get a lot of lumens per watt!

I have been very tempted to put together a P7 with D2Flex in a 1D M@g and set it up to power it with any of: triple AA nimh carrier, D LiIon, 18650, C Li-Ion. It would be a very short light with plenty of output for most uses and with a lot of power source flexibility. An extension tube 2D in length would even allow using 3D or 3C alkaline in an emergency. How's that for flexibility. (When the light is being cut down, have the original tube rethreaded to be the extension.) It is not too hard to put one of these together, there are folks on the forums selling the cut down M@gs, heatsinks, LEDs, battery carriers, etc.

I see that the single P7 lights from DX et al have come down in price, the MTE 5 mode that I have is quite reasonable for the price, now well under the $50 I paid some months ago. The Wolf Eyes sniper MC-E or P7 models are better made, with larger heads and more throw (but still plenty of flood). The WE has a forward clicky and a user interface that keeps the SOS and strobe out of the way, and it will also take a pair of CR123 for additional power flexibility when required.

Good luck in your quest,

-- Alan

Last edited: