Want a Fenix - L2D/LD20 and Reflectors Questions

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

First post etc, etc.. :wave:

I'm looking to buy my first decent LED torch, and have decided on the 2AA format, as I have loads of spare AAs around the house and they're generally convenient.

I got myself a Fenix E01 to test the waters, and I'm very impressed my the quality and brightness (although anodising was chipped out of the box due to postage damage!). I only have 3D, 2AA and Solitaire Maglites atm, and would like an LED that is about the same size as the MiniMag, but covers most of the range of all the ones already have.

I'm after a multi-purpose light therefore, which needs to be bright enough for pitch black outdoor use aswell as the odd round-the-house task. I do quite a bit of astrophotography in the open, pitch-black countryside, and therefore need a ligt with decent throw for spotting those roque Red Deer and Ponies.

I like the look of the L2D and LD20, but can't decide which to get. I much prefer the aesthetics of the L2D, and the tailswitch guard, which on the LD20, doesn't seem to be as substantial. Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of choosing either?

I'm also not sure about which reflector to choose. If the orange-peel one throws as well as the smooth, then that would be my choice, but does anyone have any hard comparisons between the two? Side-spill isn't top of my list, and I don't want to be dazzled by my own torch in the pitch black!

Finally, is the 'low' setting noticeably lower on the LD20 (9 lumens versus 12 on the L2D)?

Feel free to suggest any other alternatives that can be bought from the UK for under about £50.

Many thanks - who'd have thought choosing a torch would be so complex! :grin2:

andy955i

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an L2D and have tried an LD20 alongside it. The main practical difference is that the LD20 is more heavily knurled and therefore easier to grip and change from standard to turbo especially if wearing gloves. The newer switch on the LD20 still allows the torch to tailstand easily and again makes the switch easier to use with gloves on.

The beam from the LD20 has slightly less pronounced cree rings than the L2D on the ones I tried. The difference is pretty small. I haven't tried the OP reflector versions but they will have a bit less throw and a smoother less ringy beam.

The L2D and LD20 are both excellent and you will probably be happy with either.

The diffuser accessory is a great piece of kit too.

If you don't mind buying from overseas and if throw is really important you might want to look at the Lumapower D Mini. Fewer levels / modes but a great reputation for throw. It was on special offer on Lumapowers site with the AA battery tube and smooth and op reflectors for $55 rather than $122 thats about £38 inc. postage. The offer was still on the site today despite being supposed to finish on 31/12/08.

Andy

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your suggestions Andy.

I think throw is certainly more important than spill for what I want. How do these 2AAs compare to a 3D Maglite as far as throw goes for example?

Grateful for anymore suggestions anyone might have for a good 2AA thrower.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The small reflector of the L2D/LD20 means that it won't out throw the larger reflector of the 3D Mag. 3000 lux at 1 meter lux vs 6100 lux at 1 meter, but the L2D-CE Q5/LD20 has 150-160 lumen vs the 35-40 of the 3D mag.

If you want throw, look at the Fenix TK20. Similar in throw to the 3D mag(judging by the numbers).

:welcome: