The ultimate brick and mortar store! (If only it existed...)

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
I can just see it now... Your with your wife at the local mall. She spots her favorite store, H&M, and you agree to meet her in the food court in 30 minutes. You look around and see the normal mall stores, GameSpot, Radio Shack, Brookstone, etc... and then.. there it is: 'Flashlight Pros'.

You walk...no run, to the store that beckons you with it gleaming counters filled every light you could ever desire. They're all here: Eagletac, Fenix, JetBeam, Lumapower, NiteCore, NovaTac, Olight, Surefire, Wolf Eyes, and so on.

Along with these lights is a whole section of accessories: holsters, lube, batteries (LSDs like Eneloop, and quality li-ions), even modding supplies like lenses, emitters, and such. There's even a used section where people save a few bucks on a Wolf Eyes P7 Sniper! Oh... and let's not forget a recycling box for used akalines, nimh/nicads, and li-ion batteries.

Well.. we can all dream! If you have ever come across a store that resembles this in any way, feel free to post info! Thanks!:)

David

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy is 10 minutes from my house. It is a B&M store. He carry's SureFire, Myshondt, Fenix, Proton, Dorcy, Energizer, LED Lenser, Pelican, Streamlight, and a host of other brands, some Mod supplies, batteries.....you get the picture. AND yes it is a blast to go there.

Bill

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
If I was a multi-millionaire, I would create such a store. Who knows, it might even do well and expand into a chain. A new store opened up in my mall: The Art Of Shaving. Give me a break. If that store can make it, a flashlight store could too!

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
The only way that would work would be if you gave a free Vegamatic with each Surefire.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was a multi-millionaire, I would create such a store. Who knows, it might even do well and expand into a chain. A new store opened up in my mall: The Art Of Shaving. Give me a break. If that store can make it, a flashlight store could too!

We had a Remington store ( basically a shave store) in our mall. It didn't make it.

Bill

houtex

Enlightened
LIGHTHOUND IS AWESOME! they have a new storefront now. Aisle of light,knives,Maxpedition. Lots of Fenix and Ultrafire but some high end ArcMania and even some Ti lights.

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
Closest you going to get to that is the internet!

But yah, can only dream

Internet stores are great... Yet, it would be nice to be able to walk into a store and try out a half dozen lights (to see their beams, hold them to see how ergonomic they are, etc.). Also, if you need something at the last minute, like a small light for a trip, or some batteries, it would be quicker (and possibly cheaper-no fast shipping) to stop in your local store.

In my original post, I mentioned a mall store, but now that I have thought about it, I would be perfectly happy with a store in a little old shopping center, or somewhere... (Lease rates may be too high to have a niche flashlight store in a mall).:)

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have a huge room in the back thats all blacked out and dark, and you can take flashlights back there and test. Should have trees and outdoor stuff as well as indoor and urban objects to shine the light on.

houtex

Enlightened
Should have a huge room in the back thats all blacked out and dark, and you can take flashlights back there and test. Should have trees and outdoor stuff as well as indoor and urban objects to shine the light on.
Lighthound does have a dark room that runs the width of the store,60 feet or so. they close by sunset though.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound & BrightGuy retail outlets sound great, at least somebody gets a decent light stockist near them... unfortunately B&M stores have overheads (especially when located in high traffic areas) which they pass onto their consumers through their pricing scale and Joe Average probably won't see the true value of owning a $100+ light (unless educated through comparison/experience) :(;)

Thank goodness we (collectively speaking) have access to such suppliers via the internet :thumbsup:

FWIW the best selection of lights (a whole aisle) I've ever seen was in a recently opened BCF (Fishing. Boating & Camping superstore) here... mind you most (if not all) of the selection is Dorcy but still better than $5~10 junk plastic POS lights they sell the public elsewhere :D

Last edited:

toolpig1

Enlightened
There is something to say for being able to touch and examine something before making the purchase. The problem for me, and I would assume many of us, is that I don't trust myself. I'm only about 45 minutes from Brightguy and I've been in that area several times, but have never stopped. It's like the alcoholic who knows better than to go into the bar. The reality is that what I'd pay there in sales tax, I'd pay somewhere else in shipping. Just don't want to get into a serious fight with temptation.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound & BrightGuy retail outlets sound great, at least somebody gets a decent light stockist near them... unfortunately B&M stores have overheads (especially when located in high traffic areas) which they pass onto their consumers through their pricing scale and Joe Average probably won't see the true value of owning a $100+ light (unless educated through comparison/experience) :(;)

Thank goodness we (collectively speaking) have access to such suppliers via the internet :thumbsup:
:D

While it's true that Internet "only" stores probably have much lower overhead and maybe less cost passed on to the consumer, there is the obvious and the intangibles about seeing, touching, turning on a light before you buy it. There is also the human factor. I have built a relationship with my local vendor, any problems he is quick to take care of them. No extra shipping charges or two days to two weeks worth of emails to get the problem straight. Plus there is no waiting and I usually don't have to play the tint lottery. Most here would pay a little extra for this benifit alone! Also when you build a relationship by being a return customer, the price can be a little better and can often beat the internet store with less overhead.

Maybe I'm old fashion, or maybe I just like people, but I would pay a little more to take a 5-30 minute trip to my specialty shop for a little fun, show and tell, and a little expertise.

Bill

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
The ultimate brick and mortar store... used to be... once upon a time... back in the dark ages...

Radio Shack