Subpar Yellow Surefire G2s?

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Seems like I'm not really having much luck with Surefire G2s.

My first bad experience arose here : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214814

A while back I bought a another G2, but this time Yellow, through GanderMountain. When it arrived I was quite surprised:

- Lens was not removeable. There is no notched lens retaining ring, just a smooth black ring glued in like the Camo G2.

-The tailcap does not lock-out until 1.5 turns, while the Camo G2 locks out after 3/4 turn.

- Again, there is serious wobble with the tailcap, and the light can even be turned on by wiggling the tailcap.

Today I finally had a chance to check out a few more G2s at a local Cabelas. My observations:

- They had yellow G2s with smooth AND notched retaining rings on the shelf.

- All the other colored G2s has notched retaining rings.

- The one opened G2 was a dark green one and the tailcap had almost no play.

- The yellow G2 with notched retaining rings that I purchased had horrible tailcap slop. Nowhere near as tight as the demo model. It did however lock out 3/4 turn.

- ALL the yellow G2s with notched retaining rings had black debris on the head. Seems to be maybe a glue that was poorly applied to secure the retaining ring. The open model was clean as a whistle.

The yellow G2 I purchased also had tons of black lint inside the tailcap. I'm glad I opened it in the parking lot, as I promptly returned it.

If the "Surefire" logo was removed from the Yellow G2s I saw, I swear, with the black debris and sloppy tailcap, one would NOT think this it was a legendary Surefire light.

So what's the deal here?

Two different lights? Old models vs new models? Poor QC?:confused:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two Surefire G2's from the same vender. One yellow and one black. Both are great and have the black ring around the bezel. I just put my DX tail cap guts to make them clickies and they are perfect with a M60LLF.:twothumbs

Oh, yeah I gave the black one away as a Christmas gift w/DX Q5 and so far my brother absolutely loves it. I didn't change the cap on his and the quality seemed to be excellent.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems you're just having bad luck - my modest collection includes:

G2 (yellow)
6P
C2 (HA)
G3
E1L

And I have yet to have a problem with any of them. The clip on the E1 snapped after normal wear and tear, but I've just been too lazy to call SF and request a replacement. (I'm debating trying the E1B clip for a change of pace.

-Trevor

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The camo G2s I bought from Gander during their recent sale all have much looser tailcaps than my old G2s from years ago. The camo G2s also came with the bezel that lacks the removable retaining ring, whereas my old G2s all had the notched, removable ring.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with my SF G2LED. In fact I love my SF G2LED. I suggest you call Surefire and explain your situation and see if they will be willing to replace it with a brand new G2 or G2LED (if that is the model you have.) I have a black SF G2LED by the way.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
The camo G2s I bought from Gander during their recent sale all have much looser tailcaps than my old G2s from years ago. The camo G2s also came with the bezel that lacks the removable retaining ring, whereas my old G2s all had the notched, removable ring.

Good to know I'm not alone.

I'll Surefire and see if might know what's up with the difference in tailcap lock-out'ing.