Perfect Clip Design

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
After looking at the threads discusing poor clip design I was wondering, what exactly is the "perfect" clip? Is the perfect clip bezel up, bezel down, both, short clip, long clip? I know that the perfect clip shouldnt spin around the flashlights body (like the novatac's clip) but this thread is all about your opinion so share it:grin2:

To me the perfect clip would be low profile so it wouldnt catch on things you brush by, allow the light to set low in the pocket, long clip, and bezel down

Share your opinions (and pics?) please

brucec

Enlightened
That's easy, the McGizmo clip. It also enhances grip, prevents rolling, and has just the right holes to run a lanyard through. It's only fault is that before working in, it takes the strength of 10 men to move it.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's easy, the McGizmo clip. It also enhances grip, prevents rolling, and has just the right holes to run a lanyard through. It's only fault is that before working in, it takes the strength of 10 men to move it.

I totally agree.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp. McGizmo "death grip clip". :thumbsup:

LunaSol27andMule2.jpg

Mc27LTmofobezel2.jpg

McAlephtailKL4.jpg

McLuxIII27LTtail.jpg

SunDrop-2.jpg

History Lesson :D: older McGizmo clips:

Lux_Golden_Dragon_5W_640x480.jpg

McLuxhistory.jpg

bernie

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I don't own a Mcgizmo yet but I have to agree because it looks like you can do a lanyard, keyring, or straight up pocket clip, for me, it's all about flexibility and it can be removed without having an ugly and sharp groove like so many inferior designs.:bow:

brucec

Enlightened
Another very important characteristic is that McGizmo's lights actually COME with the clip!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No such thing as the "perfect" clip for everyone.

Having clip-carried folding knives for years before becoming interested in lights, I can tell you that a lot of it has to do with personal preference.

I prefer bezel-up carry. It allows me to reach down, grab my light, and as I bring it up to eye level I bend my wrist, and instantly hit the tailcap switch. Works great for me. (Although with this technique, it's best for use with most 2xCR123 lights). Never had a bezel-up carried light snag on anything. Since it's bezel-up, it's not exactly low-profile. But a black bezel and black clip, along with black pants, gives a bit of a low-profile option.

Another advantage is that I don't have to worry about an LEO mistaking my light for possibly a clip-carried knife, and then wishing to talk to me about it. (A very real possibility here in NYC).

I used to prefer Surefire's long clips over their short ones. Done a complete 180 on that. The long clips loosen too quickly if you EDC a light. The short ones loosen too, but maintain tension far better than the long ones.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I couldn't agree more!! Mc Gizmo clips are the BEST!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Head:
SF KL4

Body:
McGizmo Aleph 2x123 flared body HA-NAT
with McGizmo ti "death grip" clip

TC:
Aleph Flattop with 2-stage McE2S switch.

Yes, any E-Series TC will fit the body, and yes, all parts also came in black. The Aleph tailcaps can also be fitted with the McClicky switch.
The clip on the body was a very small run by Don though, only a few pieces. You'd need to find your won clip and body and mod it to fit the clip. The body came usually clipless.

bk

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I like bezel down with the clip extending over the tail end of the flashlight, or at least as close to the end as possible, so none of the light is sticking out of my pocket and it needs to be in a dark finish that won't easily wear off.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another +1 for the McG Clip

Mayo

(on a side note, I get asked alot if I'm carrying a knife when using my McGizmo clip for pocket carry.)

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I've just begun to EDC a light, so my experience is limited. My current carry is an E1B and I can't imagine how it could be better. Bezel down seems best for me and since I live where everyone wears a LARGE knife clipped in their jeans pocket, there is no issue there.

If I felt that a "quick draw" was important, then bezel up might have more appeal to me. So far, my usage has not involved an emergency/immediate type response.

The type of pants undoubtedly make a difference and being able to wear jeans most of the time gives more flexibility than dress slacks. Hopefully, I'll one day be able to give first hand testimony regarding McGizmo products! Is there an emoticon for a wistful expression?

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
Body:
McGizmo Aleph 2x123 flared body HA-NAT
with McGizmo ti "death grip" clip

The clip on the body was a very small run by Don though, only a few pieces. You'd need to find your won clip and body and mod it to fit the clip. The body came usually clipless.

bk

Darnnit... I really like this set but it seems like this is gonna be a toughie to get. From the looks of it, this has been out of production for some time...
Does this mean my best bet would only be thru B/S/T?

Please tell me I'm wrong...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
All the components (except the KL4, of course) had been available at the Shoppe, but I don't know if they still are.

However, those were relatively common items, in black, too, so you have your chances to find those via B/S/T. Just not the body with the clip mounted. That you'll have to do alone or have someone do it.

bernie