Invictus or Optimus, which one would you choose?

Choose one

• Invictus

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Optimus

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious on the preference breakdown among enthusiasts here (per your own needs/purposes/collections etc). Myself, I just assumed all along that when the Invictus & Optimus were released I'd not be able to deny 400 vs. 200 lumens, even though the Optimus is ridiculously bright already N.T.M. focusable. Though after reading A.G.'s pretty convincing post, I kind of feel like a lumen rube now L.O.L. because he makes solid points I can't get around. Most notably how the Optimus' focus will close the gap between the two at a distance.

So those who are going for one of these- which one?

AlecGold said:
The waiting game is on indeed, and it might take even a bit longer before we get it in our hands, here in the Netherlands!

But I'm not in the waiting game for the UB2, the UA2 is much more versatile and even if it is a bit bigger, just imagine what you can do with a perfect flood beam on low: read a map, read a book in a shelter, just fumble around in a black backpack. Flood on high? look at a large part of the road and the sides, light up a complete room, without the need to bounce at the ceiling, a create a "wall of light" etc. When you focus the beam, you can spot things in the distance, illuminate a small spot close by, blind one man in a group, search for lost things (or people), signal over longer distances.

Compared to the UB2 that is much more. An even if the specs are like they are in the brochure 2008, the 200 lumens of the Optimus could reach further if they are more focused than the probable "jack-of-all-trades-medium-but-400-lumens-beam of the UB2, just because it isn't focus-able.
I am wondering why they are even planning on a UA2 and on a UB2 and not just on one new light. Odd thing to make two lights: just combine the 400 lumens and the focus in one light?!

But as I said, the waiting game is on, my paypal is locked and loaded for this light, whenever it comes, I only have a EB1 that I really use at this time, just because I don't want to buy another 2 cell light and have to sell it when I settle for a UA2. Off topic, but the E1B is one very good light that has seen a lot of EDC and is really usefull and handy!
Perhaps I want to buy the Saint, but as I have Wilma from Lupine, that is not really needed :D.
But since when does "need" made it into the equation here on CPF :D

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2759150&postcount=401

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optimus Prime

Optimus
The focusability will not only add usability, but also serious cool factor.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: choose one

Does anyone think the beam of the Optimus will have more funny business going on, considering the focus factor? I know these aren't M.L.'s but still, even the rings in the E2DL & L1 I could do without vs. for instance the L5A which is a perfect beam to me.

If the Invictus beam is like an L5's, but just absurdly brighter it would be hard to deny.

kts

Enlightened

By the time Surefire releases a 400 Lumen LED light, others (Fenix, Nitecore or others) will have a 1000 Lumen LED light :nana:

isneyk

Newly Enlightened

If the puny, little, single cell, 80 lm E1B punches thru Manhattan city lights, imagine 400 SF lumens?!! :whistle:

The way I look at it is (for my needs anyway), it's easier to make a light produce a floody beam (via custom / home made or OEM filters) rather than make it produce 400 lumens when it is only limited to 200 lumens (without modding of course). So I guess you know which one gets my vote.
But then again, that's just me :popcorn:

Any estimates on how long primaries will last on 200 or 400 lms?
Because that would be another deciding factor....:thinking:

Bruce B

Enlightened

Remember the CPF motto guys, "Why buy just one, when you can have both."

That said, I'd prolly get the UB2 first and then the UA2 once I saved enough money up.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's my take on it:
You know, when I first joined these forums, it would have been no question - The Invictus. However, as I've grown my light collection, I've learned a few things along the way. As you all know already SF underrates the lumen output on their lights, so I'd venture to say that the Optimus' 200 will be perceived to be more than that. Just look at the E2DL and it's measly 120 lumens :crackup:, looks much brighter. Whenever I see a 'newb' looking for a light recommendation based on criteria from their checklist or whatever it's called, there's usually a slide-scale of throw vs flood where one needs to lean more one way or the other. With the Optimus, you've got the best of both worlds: a bright variable-output light with spot-to-flood focus on the fly. If it were a one-cell light it would just about be my Ultimate EDC. As it is though, it's pretty darn close. Budget permitting I'll grab both, but the Optimus will be my first grab.

Think about it, you're getting the flood of an L4 and the throw of an E2DL in the same package on demand, plus a power-remaining indicator, and multiple levels (I could care less about the SOS and Strobe personally).