Best PR Led Replacement?

Hilljack

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a comparison of the Nite-Ize 1W PR, Dorcy 1W PR, Terralux Ministar? Seems like the Dorcy is the cheapest. I have never seen a lumen rating listed for the Nite-Ize anywhere. I have spent quite a few hours searching CPF for this info already.

I have a couple of 2D maglights and an old Princeton Tech PR based incan headlamp I want to upgrade.

Thanks!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stay within the PR sized drop-in, kind of, the Mag LED bulb is probably the best for the Mags. It runs as hot as you dare without an additional heat sinking path, and on extended runs will reduce current via a thermal management function to protect the unit. It is actually a bit bigger than a real PR, and so won't fit many other lights than the Mags. If you want the max. brightness from it, a Seoul LED can fairly easily be substituted for the Luxeon, doubling the output with no loss of runtime.

I have used the Dorcys (and the same bulb sold at Sears) with a Seoul mod, which is even easier than modding the Mag bulb. It is again not a barn burner, but can't be with no place to move heat to. But it works on a wide range of cells, 1.5 to 8 volts, and tends to make a very nice beam. The stock Lux on all of mine has always been a very nice warm tint, although YMMV. From other's comments, the Nite-Ize 1W achieves pretty much the same thing. But looking at them, it does not appear to be a Luxeon emitter, and I can make no comment on the feasability of an emitter upgrade for this one. I appears to be the same as the Terralux TLE-1F.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the max. brightness from it, a Seoul LED can fairly easily be substituted for the Luxeon, doubling the output with no loss of runtime.
+1

My newer 2D Mag has become my favorite light with the P4 LED. It's simple to swap the MagLED module in place of the incandescent bulb but takes a bit of work to switch LEDs but it's worth it. Probably twice the lumens coming out of this light, now, and the run times have not changed a bit.

The only problem with trying to use this drop-in on a non-MagLite flashlight is that the part below the flange is considerably larger and will not drop into a majority of the flashlights out there and the flange itself is nothing more than a bump of metal running around the can.

Hilljack

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will order a couple of the Dorcy PR replacements for the lights I hardly ever use. I'm a noob and not really into swapping leds yet so I may just order one of these to play with.

TLE-6EXB TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED LED upgrade for 2-3 C/D cell Maglites.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a good one for the Mags, Lighthound's price is no more than what a Mag bulb and a loose Seoul would be, and it is ready to go. Obviously, that is a very Mag specific solution, as it occupies space only available in the Mag design, and gets a bit more metal in there to act as a heat sink, too. If your budget were even higher, and you wanted the ultimate, you might look at the Malkoff drop-ins. They require a reflector with the cam removed from the back, which you can purchase pre-cut from them for a reasonable price. Other than that, it is still unscrew-insert-rescrew installation.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index-main_page-index-cPath-1_2.html