Eternalight ??

BeeSee

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good bedside reading/ utility light, and came across the Eternalight Elite XRay. Looks nice. Like the dimmable mode. Do not like the fact that when you switch it on and off, it loses memory of the previous brightness mode. Anyone with experience with this light?

BeeSee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks MichiganMan, Looks like a nice light but very expensive IMHO. Seems expensive for a standard LED light. Maybe if it was a luxeon....

Where can you get it cheaper?

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
I have an EliteMax--an excellent light, although as you say, perhaps a bit on the expensive side for some applications. It is very new so I don't think you can expect much discounting yet. As an alternative, there is another LED light that also uses 3 AA batteries, has about the same output as the best Eternalights, is dimmable (with memory) and is regulated. See:

http://www.photonlight.com/fusion/

This light has three "modes"--headlamp, flashlight, and table lamp. I have it also and it really works very well for all three purposes (although a little cluncky as a flashlight). Retail is $82 but it is available on Ebay (where I got mine) for $45:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2321335325&category=20760

Note that there are several Fusion models--for general use you probably want the white with single red LED model (which is the one in the Ebay link).

Hope this helps...................

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine for reading, among other things. It is somewhat nerdy, yes, but functional and easy to carry.
Memory of the last brightness setting would be nice on the EliteXRay, but I don't find it that inconvenient to hit the buttons a few times to get it where I want it for reading for an hour. And the EliteXRay can be had for about $50, as opposed to the Elite Max's $100 price.

I made a lantern/stand for mine with reading in mind.
eternaLight Lantern-stand (w/photos)