1" bodies with throw!

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
I have a gun mounted 9P and am just curious if there is anything out there of the same approximate size that is vastly superior in throw. Needs to have a 1" body OD for mounting in standard scope rings.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My apologies, but I had a question on this, why do you want pure throw on a gun-mounted light? No offense meant, but I would think that at least a little spill might be helpful to ID things without needing to point the gun right at it. Or perhaps you are trying to shoot things rather far away, i.e. hunting and not a self-defense application? Just curious, I'm a shooter, but haven't explored this aspect of lighting.
Thanks,
K

USM0083

Enlightened
For outdoor use I still like incans, and last week I picked up at Cabelas in Reno, NV a Cabelas XPG 9V xenon performans head for $14.99.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0048538517257a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=xpg&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Basically a poor mans turbo head. You can adjust the focus a bit by tightening or loosening the lamp in the reflector. Tightened down it give a very nice hotspot. Output is compable to a EO-9 lamp, according to my lightbox readings, but throw is better. It easily lights things up 70 yards away, in a city setting with lots of background light. I'm running it with a pair of AW 17500s.

EDIT: The bulb is not replaceable, but I've read that you can unscrew the bulb from a Lumens Factory lamp and it fits the XPG head.

Last edited:

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
The light would be used as a spotlight for hunting appliction. Thanks US, I will look into a turbo head.

GreyShark

Enlightened
9P? Get a BOG Q5 super premium or Malkoff M60 or similar drop in LED module. It will blow away any of the official Surefire lamps for that light. I'm getting well over 100 yards of useable throw from my 6P with the BOG.

As far as throw versus spill for a weapon light the kind of weapon it is would matter. If it's a pistol or shotgun it's intended for short ranges anyway so spill could be useful. If it's a rifle it's made for longer ranges and can benefit considerably from a light with a lot of throw.

In practice I favor a light with a lot of throw for any weapon light application because I live on a large piece of property in a remote area that is very dark and I like to be able to identify things from far away. Generally a bright light inside a room will light it up sufficiently regardless of whether it was built for throw or spill.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I have a gun mounted 9P and am just curious if there is anything out there of the same approximate size that is vastly superior in throw. Needs to have a 1" body OD for mounting in standard scope rings.
Just drop a Malkoff M60 into that 9P.

Malkoff in a Surefire? Brilliant! :grin2:

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
That TK11 is looking really good.

Is it actually usable for 200 meters as advertised? The 9P is only usable for about 100.

Other suggestions still welcome. Thanks.

matt0

Enlightened
Get a KT2 for your 9P. Then you can use a Lumens Factory IMR-M3T 700 lumen HOLA. Although, it need's only two rechargeable cell's and I'm not sure if there are IMR17500's available yet.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Get a KT2 for your 9P. Then you can use a Lumens Factory IMR-M3T 700 lumen HOLA. Although, it need's only two rechargeable cell's and I'm not sure if there are IMR17500's available yet.

You will be able to run an EO-M3T on two 17500s though, and that will be plenty bright enough with the extra throw the KT-2 gives.

Superdave

Enlightened
if the KT2 will clear the barrel in whatever mounting config i'd say that's the way to go.

i have one on my Z3 and i can light up the fronts of houses an easy 1/4 mile away with the MN15 lamp.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Does the size of the head matter? Or are you concerned about body size only?

The Eagle 8w by Sunlite has a 1" diameter right where the gun mount is.
f_004m_2514d25.jpg

f_005m_5289b25.jpg

f_006m_a1c6f94.jpg

Throws a distance of over 600ft, and is rechargeable.

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for that suggestion and the photos. Head diameter needs to be no more than 40mm to 45mm. Really, lighter and smaller is better. I am still listening. :)

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Thank you for that suggestion and the photos. Head diameter needs to be no more than 40mm to 45mm. Really, lighter and smaller is better. I am still listening. :)

:D

Ok, more dimensions it is.

The outer head diameter is exactly 40mm and it is very lightweight. I don't have a postage scale, but it is lighter than my Fenix T1 and Spear clone.

It comes with a holster and Sunlite also sells pressure switches for it. Maybe thats the selling point!:poke:
Come on, you know you want one!:paypal: