New runtime on the L4?

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
SureFire sight says that the new L4 runs for 2 hrs, 120lumens for 2 hrs in regulation?

Anyone own one? looking for conformation

Thanks

Riddick

Illum

Flashaholic
120 lumens mebbe, the new runtimes seem to suggest the operational time to total battery exhaustion, rather than dropping out of regulation. Apparently surefire seems to lean towards the fact that other than flashaholics, no one else seems to know what "runtime until 50%" is supposed to mean:ohgeez:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case, I might get one. Since the U2, L5 have gone to the P4, I wouldn't be surprised.

You still can't match the beam of the L4 even if the LED is replaced with the P4. I bet it would have more throw.

Surefire might be using a Seoul P4 in their L4 now looking at the specs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If they had a more textured reflector they might be able to get a similar beam to the Luxeon V L4.

I don't think replacing the KL4 with the KX2C makes sense, the L4 was advertised as a wall of light flashlight. The KX2C will completely change that and could turn away buyers who want a floody beam.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I really hope they didn't do the KX2C swap. That would not be tghe same lights.

A few years back McGizmo modded KL4s with LuxIIIs. The resulting beam was very pleasant, but not with the huge flood-spot of the L4.

Well ... let's just hope they'll have an adequately floody upgrade soon and that the runtime quoted above is just the crappy marketing talk.

I reall ydislike SF's runtime info since 2008. It is misleading and not helpful.

bernie

Illum

Flashaholic
From what I can see...the trend with the specs on the basis of light output alone have went from 60 lumen to 100 lumen to 120 lumen or in laymen's terms a 100% increase in output with little aplitude in terms of technology within the last 3 years of its existance.

I don't recall seeing a SSC P4'd KL4...but that doesn't mean they don't exist:popcorn:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Most of the current P7 lights produce very similar beam profiles and the original L4, and much brighter.

If you're really into an L4 style beam which is brighter, why not just get one of the P7's already available for sometime instead of wondering and waiting?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
In the last three years the LED specs have been getting better, included the LuxV. So an increase in the rated minimum output seems normal, an increase in runtime however not so.

Most fo the current P7 lights have unfortunately very big heads whereas the L4 is small. Also, most if not all of the P7 lights are medium to mediocre in quality. So I'll wait. I have time and there are other lights to play with.

I tested the Wolf-Eyes Sniper P7 ... nice and bright beam, but big head and terrible interface as well as dangerously hot batteries IMHO. So I sold it.

bernie

Illum

Flashaholic
:)

Most of the current P7 lights produce very similar beam profiles and the original L4, and much brighter.

If you're really into an L4 style beam which is brighter, why not just get one of the P7's already available for sometime instead of wondering and waiting?

if they did manage to stuff a P7 in the place of the luxV within the KL4 head the specs would really change :D. we know its possible because of this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205320
I can't speak for others, I'm sort of curious about the L4 changing shoes in the middle of a marathon. :)

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I am 99% sure that they didn't screw a KX2C bezel on the new L4. If you read the specs, there is no mention of a TIR optic. I don't think they've updated the pics on the SF site, both pics are of different year L4's. The top pic has the model name and the patent number, the bottom pic includes the SF logo above the model name.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Adding the KX2C will completely change the L4 from floody to throwy. If they did, they would have added a built in diffuser. Surefire is smart enough to know what the lights are intended for and not change them too far away from the intended use.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
A swap with a P4 would make sense with the new specs, 2h at 120 lumens, very similar to the performance of the KX2C/E2DL. They did it with the U2/L5, why wouldn't they make it with the L4?

Sw1tch

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking to purchase an L4 for some time now, but couldn't justify it. This might make or break the deal when I see some updated beamshots (which I hope someone can get out soon!)