Suggestions for upgrading a 30+year old 5C Maglite

Geoff_R

Newly Enlightened
During my police days my first flashlight was a 5C Maglite. I thought I had lost it in my many moves. I recently found it again. Could y'all give me some suggestions on the best way to make this light shine for the 21st century?

cl0123

Enlightened
Get one of these Malkoff C 4-5-6 Cells Drop-in if you are thinking about LED. The tint will be different from your original Mag 5C, but it is quite efficient and one set of C-cells should last longer than the original incandescent bulb. Great for general household uses. Try searching "LED" and "Drop-in". Hopefully, you will come across some useful threads.

If you are adventurous and do not mind gutting the 5C, then look for "ROP" or related posts. ROP stands for Roar of the Pelicans. Bascially, it describes how flashaholics make use of the Maglite body and retrofit it with superbright lamps.

Hope it helps.

With Aloha,

Clarence

rtt

Enlightened
Get one of these Malkoff C 4-5-6 Cells Drop-in if you are thinking about LED. The tint will be different from your original Mag 5C, but it is quite efficient and one set of C-cells should last longer than the original incandescent bulb. Great for general household uses. Try searching "LED" and "Drop-in". Hopefully, you will come across some useful threads.

If you are adventurous and do not mind gutting the 5C, then look for "ROP" or related posts. ROP stands for Roar of the Pelicans. Bascially, it describes how flashaholics make use of the Maglite body and retrofit it with superbright lamps.

Hope it helps.

With Aloha,

Clarence

If your light is 30 years old make sure your serial number starts with a "D" before purchasing a Malkoff led. The old mag inside diameter is larger than the current versions. The reason was to ensure paper wrapped batteries would fit.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your light is 30 years old make sure your serial number starts with a "D" before purchasing a Malkoff led. The old mag inside diameter is larger than the current versions. The reason was to ensure paper wrapped batteries would fit.
Or "C", as the website says.

Geoff_R

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for those suggestions. I like the Malkoff drop in modification. The ROP looks good though maybe in the future. I looked at the serial number on my light. It doesn't have a C or D. My guess is that it's too old. The serial number is 50000765. I'll send Malkoff an email and ask. I know the barrel is a bit oversize because I had an accident form rolled up inside to keep the batteries from rattling.

Is it worth changing out the plastic lens for one of the newer ones? If yes, I'd appreciate some suggestions on that too.

Thanks again!

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
Just ot of curiosity, does anyone know when maglite added the letters c/d in front of the serial numbers?

My D-cell maglites are from 2000 or 2001 and they have the letter D in front of the SN.

swampgator

Enlightened
Just ot of curiosity, does anyone know when maglite added the letters c/d in front of the serial numbers?

My D-cell maglites are from 2000 or 2001 and they have the letter D in front of the SN.

I'm thinking sometime around the late 80s or so. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can pinpoint it better.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Also check this thread, has a bunch of Maglite mods and drop-ins.

If you want to do the ROP mod, you'll have to switch the reflector to a metal one and the window to a glass one. The plastic will melt under the heat.

You can get some improvement output wise if you swap the plastic window for a UCL glass one. The UCL lens has anti reflective coating so more light passes through.

:welcome:

Cydonia

Enlightened

Early 1990's is more like it.

But that is a mute point because Maglite didn't exist before 1979. So a 30 year old 5C light... must be a Kel-Lite. And a Malkoff wont fit unless you use a copper spacer to build up the difference. Malkoff won't fit in any 1980's Maglite either I believe. Old Mag's and Kel-lites were made larger diameter to accept the larger carbon zinc cells I believe.