Roll on deodorant halogen light

ash_dac

Newly Enlightened
mr11 closed front bulb fits nicely into an empty roll on deodorant container. The roll on ball is held in place by a piece of plastic that stops the ball falling in or out. The mr11 is around a half roll on ball in this example so it's a nice fit. I've put a plumbing o-ring in the holder to attempt to water seal the front. Not sure wether to run with the lid.

How will the plastic cope with the heat?

5w bulb min?

fire2727

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ash,
I've used plumbing fittings to hold 20w MR16 lamps, but they melt, so I would expect mr11 to melt your deodorant bottle.
Im putting together a MR16 12v 10 degree 50w light today using a stainless steel holder, might put a few pics up, it might be a bit rough/primitive for this site but it's my first project :naughty:

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a lot of heat for anything short of special high temp polymers. A lot of people use I think a Mica blanket insulation for this kind of stuff to reduce heat into sensitive areas, but you still need a heat resistant mounting point for the bulb, most easily done with metal.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any non-dichroic MR11 lamps?

Because if they are, all the heat would be radiated out and not back into the torch.

ash_dac

Newly Enlightened
i've read a thread on here re the mr16's like this with special reflector . think it was an osram bulb.

Also another thread mentioned using reflective tape on the outside. It would still get mighty hot.

I've only managed to find 10w and 5w in mr11 as I'm using 6v. Not sure there is a 20w 6v mr11 as the current would be high.

If i go for mr16 12v would go down the garden light route. MR16 6v bulbs do they even exist ?