Finish nailer Choice

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Wife and I are installing a wood floor in our house. I'm using engineered pre-finished planks 1/2" by 5".

I am using a Bostitch MIIIFS stapler as my main tool but it will not fit in the first and last row.

I'm shopping for a finish nailer and I have come across 2 types. A straight and angle nailer. Per the Portor-Cable web site, straight and angle describes the nail itself, not the nailer.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductCompare.aspx?Prod1=18946&Prod2=11537

Would someone tell me what the difference is to the consumer (me)?

Update..............................................................................

There seems to be 2 types of finish nailers that use 2 different nails.

The nail magazine can be straight or angled and depending on the model, it can use straight or angled headed nails.

So I can have a straight magazine tool that uses a straight nail or an angled head nail but they would be different model guns.

Same deal with an angled magazine gun. Straight or angle nail but not interchangeable.

What is the angle head nail used for? Does it fire into the wood at an angle so the nail head is level to the wood?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I bought one last summer. It's amazing how fast the fence went back together.

The angle pertains to the angle of the magazine to the angle that the nail will be driven.

The straight is easy to use when you are working on a flat surface with no obstructions. You can rest the magazine on the surface that you are nailing.

The angled one works when you are trying to toe-nail or get into tight spaces like between studs.

The one I bought weighs just a pound or two, so there is no problem with wearing myself out. Magnesium. Fantastic stuff.

Daniel

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What GadgetLover said. The angled gun let's you work in more cramped spaces. And you're wise to get the 15ga instead of the 16. The little larger and longer nail helps a lot particularly with stuff like crown mold. We've used them for frame work - to temporarily hold an assembly until we're sure of the fit, then nail it with the big gun.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I bought a Harbor Freight 15ga. Under $100 with 1k nails.:paypal:

I think it's a Senco knock off.