Nearing the last chance to say...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Yeah, but it moves."
Things that move, like hard drives slow electronics down.
For many, many years, when somebody talked about the biggest, newest, fastest hard drive (and I remember when 5Mb was in that category) The "cool" guy could pretend not to be affected and say "Yeah, but it moves."
Cool guys of the world, the end is near. pureSilicon's 1TB 2.5 inch and it's successor will put an end to that.

If you are not aware of Gizmag you should be

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting article. In reality, it seems almost everything in the world of technology & innovation gets improved and replaced. It's the "building a better mousetrap" phenomonen.

Yeah, putting together the one and two terabyte memories with the Casio camera that can do 1000 fps and next years video cams promise to be very interesting.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow !

Very cool stuff, guys !

Thank you for sharing.

:twothumbs
_

jtr1962

Flashaholic
SSDs have been forecast to replace magnetic drives for a long time. At this point there are no more technical hurdles. Now it's simply a matter of economics. For bulk storage magnetic disks remain far cheaper, but the gap is closing every year. I predict crossover sometime in 3 to 5 years, and then magnetic disks will disappear just as fast as CRTs have. Long before then, they will have an increasing market share in data servers, and among performance enthusiasts.

Interesting times we live in. It seems like so many technologies which have existed for decades are on the verge of being replaced.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Cool! I wonder if it will offer better performance in gaming computers.

Commercially available solid state drive performance recently surpassed Western Digital's Raptor series, but the stumbling block is still price, with the SSD coming in at more than twice the price of the Raptor with less than a third of the space.

The premier gaming rig builder Falcon Northwest has offered SSDs for many months now; you can add an Intel 80Gb SSD to one of their PCs for $995: http://www.falcon-nw.com/ (a small price to pay when their top-shelf "Bragging Rights" rigs start at $10,000+)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Commercially available solid state drive performance recently surpassed Western Digital's Raptor series, but the stumbling block is still price, with the SSD coming in at more than twice the price of the Raptor with less than a third of the space.

The premier gaming rig builder Falcon Northwest has offered SSDs for many months now; you can add an Intel 80Gb SSD to one of their PCs for $995: http://www.falcon-nw.com/ (a small price to pay when their top-shelf "Bragging Rights" rigs start at $10,000+)

That was the longest Flash intro animation that I have ever seen.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I paid $2500 for my first hard drive. It was 5 Mb
200,000 of those equals a terabyte.
A terabyte of those would have cost $500,000,000.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
One of our vendors (SUN) has been harping on the idea of Solid State Disk (SSD) as a replacement for hard drives. The gave a seminar last month on a new using that combines sdram, SSD and hard drives into a single package that looks like a sata drive.

They used a huge RAM drive to buffer data to and from the SSD, which in turn copied seldom used data to the hard disk.

But here's the tricky part. The SSD have a 4 year life in this application. Each memory block (a cell) can only be written a ceratin number of times, then it's toast.

Some cleaver hardware constantly changes where data is written to avoid wearing out areas of the SSD.

Now ask me if I want a disk that is guaranteed to break in 4 years. I'll give you a hint. The answer is no. *

Eventually they will come up with a great permanent storage,but flash based devices are not (yet) the answer.

Daniel

* When I think of managing 4,000 computers with two SSDs each, my stomach hurts.

astrotec

Newly Enlightened

it really depends not upon bragging rights, but are you willing to spend a few more dollars to get something that is more robust and serviceable may last a bit longer than other brands? I own a Falcon Northwest Machine ... a Fragbox II. I would, were i not collecting unemployment at this time, consider other items in a similar vein... i finally got a Surefire 6P (with a M60 Malkoff drop-in) WOW !! and i have a couple of customs by Elektrolumens, and i would consider a Porsche as well...

why fiddle around with something that is not top drawer when you can get What you want for a few extra dollars. you do it in Lights, why not make your life easier and spread it across all of what you spend on...besides the the SSD solution should be cost effective in the long run. i have found it is generally cheaper to get what i want instead of settling for something not quite there, that breaks or i end up not being satisfied with because it is not what i wanted. Imho thanks

a.t.