Nite-Ize LED Upgrade for 2-6 Cell C & D Mag-Lite LRB-07-PR

bluesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what led is used in this, what wattage, approx lumens on a 3D mag and is it a worthwhile upgrade please?
How much brighter than the standard bulb is it (Approx)
thanks.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
The Nite Ize PR bulb looks exactly like the TerraLux TLE-1F. Not sure if there's any significance, but Nite Ize and Terralux area both here in Boulder CO and only about 4 miles apart. I can walk to Terralux from home and can walk to Nite Ize from work. In my opinion, I think that Nite Ize is OEMing the bulb from Terralux. I have a couple of the TLE-1F's, gives decent throw in a maglight. More spot than flood. If I remember right it gives a really long moon mode versus just going out suddenly when the batteries get low. I hate when flashlights do that. :sick2:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
from the pictures I got it looks like the one I have which is a 0.5watt LED has a clear plastic dome that looks about like a glass bulb.
it is bright for a half watter and will run even on one cell but nothing as bright as a lux or cree is.

Last edited:

bluesbeat

Newly Enlightened
hey thanks guys for the info, there just isn't much info on it anywhere except that it's got long battery life and has an expected life of 100,000 hours (wow, that equates to 11.5 years continuously!!!)
I have a mag 3w led upgrade in my old 3D and I just bought a 2AA + 3d combo Mag (with the incan bulbs) cheap. So i might try the Nit-Ize as it's pretty cheap from the US (about US$9 from battery junction), keeping in mind that currency conversion and postage to Australia isn't that cheap. Means if I purchased a more powerful Terralux by the time I got it here it would make the original torch reasonably expensive. The Nitize is over AU$30 here. Is there anything else in this low price range? I'm also interested in LED upgrades for the 2AA mini mag and have seen the 1watt Nite-Ize for it...I wonder if it's the same led they put in the C & D mag conversion?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Nite-Ize LED upgrade, tried it, then returned it. The Maglite brand upgrade LEDs are much brighter and are now installed in my old 2D and 3D Maglites.

Marduke

Flashaholic
That upgrade is a generic 10mm LED. It is geared totally towards runtime, not brightness. Expect about 10-15 lumens MAX on 3-6 cells.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will tell you why this "upgrade" is completly WORTHLESS:

You dont hold a 5 pounds big long flashlight to produce a tiny low brightness beam. Yes, I know, 15 days runtime.. and it is like having a airplane fuel tank in a motorcycle.

Save your money and get a superbright multi-emitter malkofff or terralux... IHMO. :poke:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, it does have the ability to fire on cells that ANY other dropin would spit right out as being dead, and the NiteIze works beautifully in my 4D lantern for camping and power outages. Four cells will provide you constant power for DAYS, and in real use would last for WEEKS.

Bright it is not, but two of them have found their way into my emergency kit with good reason.

sabre7

Enlightened
Which would have longer runtime in Mag D, the Nite Ize or Terralux MiniStar 1? :thinking:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Light Sabre

Enlightened
One time I tried to see how long the NI 10mm LED (the 1st one) would last before it finally went out. Was using a 2D flashlight and the NI LED was in moonlight mode :crackup:even tho the batteries were leaking (and ruined the flashlight.:mecry:) The Walmarts here still carry them. :thinking: A local hardware store (Boulder only) has the 2nd kind (looks like the TLE-1F).

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what led is used in this, what wattage, approx lumens on a 3D mag and is it a worthwhile upgrade please?
How much brighter than the standard bulb is it (Approx)
thanks.

I'm not sure about the LED used or wattage, but I just recently posted some runtime graphs for this light (hope it isn't bad form to link my own posts). It shows relative output in LUX and runtime. Check this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216438

Post #21 has the graph for the 3D Mag with the Mag LED.
Post #42 has the graph for the 3D Mag with the original Incan.
Post #44 has the graph for the 3D Mag with the Niteize drop-in.

Not sure if I'd rate the Niteize drop-in as worthless but it is definately a low-level light. I use the Mag 3D LED and keep the Niteize in the tailcap for long-term emergency use.

BTW, I have and tested this drop-in in post #44: http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127 .

C.P.T.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
IMO the niteize *10mm* dropin is more suited for lanterns than lights as about the only lights that have correct focus for them are 2C and 2D mags and having such a large battery for a dim flashlight is counterproductive but for a long running lantern is would make sense. I have 2 of the dropins and I found if you get the 2AA plastic swivel lights, remove the bulb assembly and bend the tabs to make contact. Drill out the hole in the reflector to fit the bulb you have a semi decent long running light for the size.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have both the older 10mm and the newer 1-watt Nite-Ize,the 1-w is not a power house for sure but gives the light more throw and is brighter than the older model.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Regarding the 10MM NiteIze. It is useful when the power goes out. When there is ambient light however the 10MM is NOT bright.

Regarding the 1W. I don't have a PR 1W from NiteIze. I did have a NiteIze 1W for the Minimag and it was okay for what it is.

Should I come across the 1W PR in a store I'll have to try one.