Boring a Surefire Z2 Combat to take 18650 - where do I go?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone suggest a good source for boring my Z2 to accept 18650 cell? Is this a risky or potentially crazy idea to do? I'm thinking about installing an M60 style P7 emitter in my Z2 combat and it sounds like the ability to use an 18650 with this set-up might be a good idea... I'm a newbie, so please pardon my ignorance... I'm learning as quickly as I can. :sssh:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Definitely do some searches on here...I recently looked into boring options for a C2 but people are saying there's not a whole lot to work with...I know it's a totally different light but still. Also, it might depend on what size 18650 you need it bored out for since there are slight variations in diameter.

There are plenty of custom tubes you can look into if boring doesn't work out. Check the BST forum for FiveMega for one option...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.... I think perhaps I'll leave my SF body alone and buy a separate tube and just swap it in between my head and tailcap... then there's no worry about messing up the SF body. Thanks again.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not a lot of inside diameter with the reduced body of the Z2. I did have my M3 (actually L6 body, same size) bored for unprotected 18500's and 18650's with bored A19, and would not want to go any larger to fit protected 18650's.

Bill

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bill... yes, I've decided to buy a 19mm Fivemega 1x18650/2x16340 body to comfortably house an IMR18650. It's on order from Lighthound now. And I'll pick up a new Surefire 6P incan. flashlight to harvest the head and tail-cap components from it to use with the Fivemega body. I'm going to put one of Gene Malkoff's P7 "RoomSweeper"-type lamp assemblies in the new flashlight. It'll be used as a self-defense tactical "BLINDER" and also to be able to get a quick, super-wide, super-bright visual in a dark room. I'm not concerned with long run times... I really just want a SUPER-bright, SUPER-wide flood in a small, easy to carry package for tactical advantage.

That way I can leave my Z2 Combat flashlight intact, but upgrade it with a Malkoff M60 9v lamp assembly driven by two AW IMR16340s, for more general use.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks Bill... yes, I've decided to buy a 19mm Fivemega 1x18650/2x16340 body to comfortably house the IMR18650. It's on order from Lighthound now. And I'll pick up a new SF 6P incan. flashlight to harvest the head and tail pieces from it to use with the Fivemega body. I'm going to put one of Gene Malkoff's P7 "RoomSweeper"-type lamp assemblies in the new flashlight.

That way I can leave my Z2 Combat flashlight intact, but running a Malkoff M60 lamp with two AW16340s.

That's a lot of $ to go just a bit further than the 17670 capacity you already have in the Z2. You might find that you like the ergonomics of the Z2 body more.

(or possibly higher reliability as well - some folks have had some troubles getting reliable electrical contact between the Malkoff modules and non-SF bodies - I don't know which are the problematic brands, other cpf'ers might weigh in if the FM bodies have had any troubles with this or is it just the cheaper off-brands.). My 1.5 cents.

I'd get a 17670 and try out the Malkoff/Z2 first, if you want to go further, you could do what you're thinking & get that secondary thrower setup, but get the M30 and run it off a 17670. Single cell 17670 on the 3v M30 will beat a two cell rcr123 running a M60 for runtime, and output should be the same. Large single cell is also more convenient (& safer - voltage balancing issues) than two smaller cells, especially if you carry spares (i.e. changing two spent for two fresh rcr123's instead of changing one spent 17670 for one fresh 17670).

Sorry if I'm not all that linear this evening, just trying to get this message out and get out of here...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single cell 17670 on the 3v M30 will beat a two cell rcr123 running a M60 for runtime, and output should be the same.

Wow... I had no clue about that! Newbie goofs up, I guess. Thank you for the heads up. Like I said somewhere around here, this flashlight modding stuff can sure get deep and dicey in a hurry. :ohgeez:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It's just no comparison:
M30 with 1x17670: ~240 lumens, 1:15-1:20 runtime
M60 with 2xRCR123's: ~240 lumens, ~50 minutes runtime
The popularity of the M30 really took off last year.:party:
If you're really concerned about runtime from a 2x123 host, ever thought of a 9P/C3-type body?
M60 with 2x17500's for nearly 2 hours runtime. Yeah baby:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel... thank you. yet again! I see many more flashlights in my(bright) future! ;)

And I think my next flashlight is going to be a 9P/C3 type with an M60 and two 17500's! The I'll have an E2, a Z2 Combat, and a C3.

Man I love this forum.... but this stuff is so addicting, I can hardly tear myself away from it! (Can't, really!) Does it get any easier? :huh:

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6 M6

Sorry, going OT. Just having fun with the "where do I go?" question.:devil:

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this in another thread, but thought some of you who have helped me might not see that, so it's here too...

After spending days of time in this forum I decided to dive into creating some lights myself... ordered up a Fivemega 18650 body, a couple of Solarforce 18650 bodies, a couple of extension tubes, and heads... and Malkoff P7, M60, M60F, and M30 lamp assemblies. And of course an array of various AW IMR and protected Li-Ion cells, WF-139 charger, Nyogel, yada, yada, yada. And I'm going to use some parts from my SF Z2 Combat light with these ordered parts to experiment. Kinda like playing Barbie dolls with flashlights, I guess. :crackup:

I even decided to just bite the bullet and cross through the Flashaholic's "DX" rite of passage as quickly (and, hopefully, as painlessly as possible ) by ordering an MTE SSC P7 1x18650 flashlight from Hong Kong. :sweat: That should be fun to play with!

Yep... diving right in... no more wading around the kiddie pool for me. ;) And I think I'm only just beginning my flashlight addiction! :party:

Thanks to all for helping me get indoctrinated! :broke: Good news is, this hobby is a lot less costly than my gun hobby! :duh2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I posted this in another thread, but thought some of you who have helped me might not see that, so it's here too...

After spending days of time in this forum I decided to dive into creating some lights myself... ordered up a Fivemega 18650 body, a couple of Solarforce 18650 bodies, a couple of extension tubes, and heads... and Malkoff P7, M60, M60F, and M30 lamp assemblies. And of course an array of various AW IMR and protected Li-Ion cells, WF-139 charger, Nyogel, yada, yada, yada. And I'm going to use some parts from my SF Z2 Combat light with these ordered parts to experiment. Kinda like playing Barbie dolls with flashlights, I guess. :crackup:

I even decided to just bite the bullet and cross through the Flashaholic's "DX" rite of passage as quickly (and, hopefully, as painlessly as possible ) by ordering an MTE SSC P7 1x18650 flashlight from Hong Kong. :sweat: That should be fun to play with!

Yep... diving right in... no more wading around the kiddie pool for me. ;) And I think I'm only just beginning my flashlight addiction! :party:

Thanks to all for helping me get indoctrinated! :broke: Good news is, this hobby is a lot less costly than my gun hobby! :duh2:

Sounds like you are keeping John at Light Hound, and Gene Malkoff happy. Yes, flashlight are much cheaper than the gun hobby. :D

Bill