The true purpose of flashlights?

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
Six days ago, me and my wife were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. And I've found that there is an essential use for flashlights many times a day - checking diapers. So far I've mostly used the Fenix E01, although the LumaPower Avenger in clicky configuration has also worked great. Small, handy, and low enough power that it doesn't disturb the sleep and sensitive eyes of our tiny newborn even if I miss a bit and she gets some spill light in her face.

She's so small.

For some reason, so much talk on these boards revolve around flashlights as instruments of violence. I just discovered a use for flashlights as instruments of loving care.
Be well, all.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The trick is to lay the baby down and change him/her at just below hip height, that way you can lay the flashlight somewhat near the baby and point it at your pants, creating a broad and diffuse field of light exactly where you need it :thumbsup:

And I've never used a flashlight in/for anything violent..

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Congratulations! My wife and I have been married for 7 years now and have yet to have one of our own... my 10 year old step son keeps me busy enough some times that I don't think I could handle another one.

My wife keeps my old Lumapower M1-XRE on her night stand. I see her using it often when she's looking for something in the bedroom closet. It's not big enough for ceiling lights. She also got a Fenix E01 for Christmas. Her response was "Well I'm the wife of a flashoholic so I guess it just wouldn't be right if I didn't have one on my keychain!" :D

For some reason, so much talk on these boards revolve around flashlights as instruments of violence. I just discovered a use for flashlights as instruments of loving care.

<rant>The term instrument of violence bugs me... in the same way that people categorize my legally carrying a hand gun, knife, kubotan or pepper spray in a negative light. I carry these tools as instruments of preparedness, readiness and defense, especially when my wife or son are concerned. A flashlight is just another tool that can be used in a large variety of situations. Being cross trained on using a variety of tools for defensive purposes gives one a greater range of responses when faced with various situations.</rant>

Once again, congratulations on the new born! :party:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yeah the true purpose of a flashlight is to create light when the sun is not available. The reasons why you want to create that light are extremely varied.

Be it for baby, footstool awareness, trail finding, or bad-guy, it is a great time to be a flashaholic and know all your options!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as CPF is concerned, I think the purpose of lights is to make sure our wallets are a bit thinner :laughing:

Ok, maybe more than a bit :sigh:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just confusion about terms. In my book, defense is a little different than violence. Maybe I'm technically wrong, but it seems to me that "violence" implies an offensive attack, defense is physically warding off or stopping an attack. If I defend myself, whether using a flashlight or other item, I don't feel that is true violence. It's me merely defending myself with the means I have available to me.

In any case, congratulations on your baby girl!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The true purpose of the flashlight was to start up a forum where a bunch of nuts could get together and talk about flashlights:crackup:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
I have no real valid reason but who cares ?:candle:

well except that I like to have the sun in my pocket :naughty: :grin2:

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I'm 16(not that it would matter if I'm older...), so I sometimes find myself enhancing the effects of hiding somewhere and popping out at someone with a quick burst of a light. but that's not all I use a light for of course, I just thought nobody else would say this. haha

D-Dog

Enlightened
Earlier this night I used my EDC to light up a building sign for a couple of friends with me. I find multiple uses for my lights, none revolving around acts of violence. Lights are tools of illumination with billions of possible uses to me, from picking out my clothes in a dark closet to lighting up a jogging trail.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Six days ago, me and my wife were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. And I've found that there is an essential use for flashlights many times a day - checking diapers. So far I've mostly used the Fenix E01, although the LumaPower Avenger in clicky configuration has also worked great. Small, handy, and low enough power that it doesn't disturb the sleep and sensitive eyes of our tiny newborn even if I miss a bit and she gets some spill light in her face.

She's so small.

Be well, all.
How funny. We just got our 2yr old son potty trained last month. Before that however I too used my lights to see if the diaper was wet. You didn't say exactly how you go about it but I found putting it right up against the diaper so that you can see the light coming from the inside out helped tremendously to figure out if it was wet or not. Yellow light= wet and white light= dry.:D

Fooboy

Enlightened
dimmer switch = good for babies
flashlight = good for violence

You need two hands to change a diaper

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't say exactly how you go about it but I found putting it right up against the diaper so that you can see the light coming from the inside out helped tremendously to figure out if it was wet or not. Yellow light= wet and white light= dry.:D

What does a brown light mean?..:eek::sick2::duh2::green::barf:

Don't have kids yet..

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
dimmer switch = good for babies
flashlight = good for violence

You need two hands to change a diaper

:thumbsup:
Yes but you can also use a zebralight as well :poke:

And flashlight = good for violence,hmm I don't think so,if you solely rely on a flashlight for violence then you will most likely have to explain to AE how you came to have a flashlight rammed up your A** :devil:

Flashlights are tools for lighting period.:D

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Zebralight to check on my one year old during the night
and the Mrs uses a Mag P7 to look for things that the baby has
"hidden" (keys, watches, TV remote controllers etc etc etc) :D
I thought about using a UV light to check the diapers but that
is abit risky so I just have a good sniff :toilet: