help deciding what led to use

Axkiker

Enlightened
Hey all help a rookie out.

Recently I have been bitten by the led bug. My latest project is for an underwater syatem which will incorporate multiple leds. I will be making several different color options and that leads to my first issue.

When starting this I didnt realize that blue leds produce far less lumens than say a white led. I didnt even think about that when starting so my first issue is trying to make a fixture which produces blue light at roughly 700 lumens. Yeah I could just smack a bunch of 3 or 5 w blue luxeon stars in a fixture however the amount needed would require a fixture which is too big. So my first question is do you all know or recommend a specific led for producing blue light.

My next question is about the new rebel leds. I was reviewing the specs on their web site and it appears that they have an led which produces blue light at 48 lm with 700 ma. As im sure you know the rebels are extremly small so that would solve my space issue im just not sure of the their durability. Has anyone had any experience with installing these in a circuit. Do they have any issues with heat. I am toying with the idea of etching some flexible circut boards which i could use to power the rebels but it will be a first for me.

any thoughts

thanks