5W LS, 6AA, reflector, not that bright..*Updated*

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 5 watt luxeon that I usually run 5AA batteries with, and using a reflector. For some reason, I can't get it to be very bright, and my 1 watt with the 30mm optic is still brighter at the spot. The side spill of the 5 watt is better, but the hot spot is not as bright, even when I took the AA dummy out and placed a sixth AA battery in the battery holder. The reflector is one that looks like it has many small 'mirrors' rather than the typical smooth Maglite type reflector. Perhaps I need to get an actual Maglite reflector. It seems to have worked with others here. But still, I have two 5 watt stars, and neither of them seem that impressive, unless they are being used as a flood. Then, they are more impressive than the 1 watt LEDs.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5 watt LS, 6AA, reflector, still not that bright.

I usually run my 5watt using 7 rechargeable AA batteries with 2.2 ohm resistor (bought from Elektrolumens). I don't know if this dangerously overdriving the led, but it is certainly an overdrive.
It is bright, white and certainly impressive.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5 watt LS, 6AA, reflector, still not that brig

The reflectors make all the difference. The eye is notoriously poor at integrating luminous output and so we look for the spot. But that is almost entirely dependent on reflector design.

Secondarily, what bin 5W LS are you using? My guess is a low "U" is going to be visibly dimmer than a high "V". Why run with a dummy anyway? Six AA puts it right in the high end of the range for a "U" bin forward voltage. This setup in my Mag 2D is killer. Bright spot and massive spill (almost entirely a result of the raw frontal output of the LED.

Wilkey

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 5 watter in question is one of the ones from Wayne of Elektrolumens, the ones with the 1000 hour max life, so I wanted to extend that amount some by running it with less current. Of course, when the brighter, longer running 5 watters come out, I guess I can just replace it if it goes out.

So, is the Maglite reflector going to be better at catching the light than what's currently being used?

Also, I do have one of those good reflectors from flashlightlens.com, so perhaps that will help out with the light output. If I can find a Maglite reflector somewhere, maybe I'll try that out too.

Please keep the suggestions coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you try looking straight into the luxeon? It is not recommended, but it tells you straight away how bright the luxeons are. It should at least as bright as (4) 1 Watters.
If you see it bright straight, then perhaps the reflector is the one at fault. However, if there is little to no dalmatian effect, then drive it harder.

just a suggestion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may have to find a Maglite reflector. I think that may be the best way to remedy the problem.

As a little update, the UCL lens from flashlightlens.com came in today. Nice piece of glass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Anyway, I may have to go to the B/S/T forum to get a Maglite reflector, as long as it is in excellent shape.

On a sort of side note, as far as the 30mm optic goes, I believe it is best saved for 1 watt HD luxeons.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orion,

Good luck finding Mag reflectors. I advertised for some (I cut mine up in some crude focal point experiments) and there were no bites. The UCL is a nice lens. Just gotta be careful of it getting dirty. I wouldn't recommend looking at the LED directly. It's freaking bright. To my eye, more severe than the P90 or P91 because of the whiter color.

The Mag reflector is pretty good at directing peripheral light towards a central hotspot. It is just not good at keeping the whole center spot filled as the lamp filament or LED face moves outwards from the focal point (moving from spot to flood). Hence, the dreaded Mag dark hole. There is just no way around it. It's in the design of the reflector. That's why I set all my Mags to a tight spot and use the normal front spill for peripheral lighting. What I'd like to try is one of those 2" aluminum reflectors from Carley. They probably just need some judicious milling to make it fit in the Mag head.

The 30mm optic does work wonders with the 1W. However, it is still completely whipped by the Mag in spot mode. It does make a more uniform flood spot though.

Wilkey

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahhh, another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Last night, I decided to put the 6th AA into the battery holder. I checked the voltage of all the now fully loaded 6AA holder and it showed just under 9 volts. However, when I put it in, and touched the volt meter leads to the positive and negative leads of the luxeon, and turned the flashlight on, . . . I was only getting barely 7 volts (I guess that means 7 volts 'under load'?). Maybe that is why it isn't looking all that impressivly bright.

The batteries I'm using are bulk batteries sold by (and dressed in their logo and colors) Bass Pro Shop. Is it possible that these batteries can't handle the 5 watt luxeon power? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm... and this is without any resistors? Maybe you've got a crapped out battery in the 6-batt link... Have you emptied out the 6AAs and tried running the light with 3 CR123As to see if it's at max brightness?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct. No resistors present. I don't have a 3 CR123A battery holder, however, I suppose I could McGuiver a temporary one to check for full brightness.

I'm beginning to think that the Bass Pro Shop batteries may not be all that good. Of course, they ARE 30 batteries for $2.50 or there abouts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Maybe I should spring for better batteries and give it another try with the 6AA's.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep. Beginning to sound like the batteries... The only other thing I can think of is to try it with the 3CR123s. If you get the same problem with 3CR123s, then that would mean it's an LS problem, a soldering problem or a switch problem. If you get superlight with the CR123s, then it's either the 6AA holder or the batteries... More than likely, it's starting to sound like the batteries...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will McGuiver a 3 CR123 and will report back what I find out.

Thanks!!

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened

The AA batteries you are using could have a high internal resistence. You're drawing enough current so that the internal resistence of the batteries is a factor. And the more cells you have in series, the higher the resistence.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, is that why when I was using 5AA's, the voltage (under load) to the LED showed almost 6.5 volts, and with 6AA's the voltage (under load) showed almost 7 volts, instead of something higher than that?

So, what would be a good set of batteries to put in it? I don't have a charger, so rechargables isn't an option. Unless you all convince me that a charger is a good thing to have.

Thanks for all the good comments and advise!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, I did McGuiver 3 CR123's in the flashlight in question, and it did make a difference in brightness.

And I have a Maglite reflector coming to me, probably next week, then I'll see how the new reflector, the UCL lens, and whatever batteries I will use will effect the perceived output. At the moment, it still isn't as bright (at the hot spot) as the 1 watt with the 30mm optic. Almost, but it should be brighter. The flood is definitely more than the 1W/30mm setup.

I can't wait until the new reflector comes in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, I got some EverActive batteries from Walmart last night, and it did improve the brightness of the beam. So, better batteries installed, UCL lens in place, now I am just waiting for the Mag reflectors to come in. They are in shipment even as I type.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5 watt LS, 6AA, reflector, *Updated*

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle falls into place. Last night, I came home and in my mail box was the new reflector (Maglite)!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I modified it slightly, so it would fit over the 5W LED, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, put it all together and prepared to fire it up, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, . . . .turned it on, . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif !!!

I have to say that the Maglite reflector may not be so good with incandescent bulbs, but does a pretty amazing feet with a 5 watt LS! Before, I really couldn't tell much difference in brightness between my 1 watt with 30mm optic, and the 5 watt with the previous reflector. However, now that the Maglite reflector is in place, it beats everything I have, except of course, my 'Million Candlepower' spotlight. It's now much brighter than my 1 watt with 30mm, and even more so than my Legend LX! It probably isn't as bright as the Space Needle II, though. Of course, I don't have one to compare it with, nor do I have a light meter to see what lux readings mine would get. Oh well, it looks pretty good to me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif