Who has got both the Fenix LD01 and the E01?

HighLumens

Enlightened
The Great Challenge: HIGH BRIGHTNESS (and more than 1 level of output) vs RUNTIME.

Can who of you has got both the Fenix LD01 and the E01 tell us which his/her favourite one is, and why? Specifing the pourposes, of course..

zozo

Newly Enlightened
I've got both. Loved the E01 for a long time, but now really love the LD01. There is trade-off with runtime, but I use Eneloops, so it's not a real issue.

With the LD01, you get versatility (i.e., three levels), decent runtime, great output, and (at least in my case) a really pretty white light. Like I said, I loved the E01, but the purple tint started making me crazy after a while.

Of course, I could have bought almost 4 E01s for what I paid for my SS LD01.

Toaster

Enlightened
I have both and prefer the Liteflux LF2X over either of them. It has a much nicer interface and doesn't have annoying low PWM flicker like the LD01, More expensive but the included accessories more than make up for it imho.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer my E01 for keychain duty, the LD01 for use a a small "real" flashlight.

paulr

Flashaholic
LD01 is more of a flashaholic light, with its 3-level UI and its battery demands (use lithium or rechargeable, it will perform a lot worse on alkalines or zinc-carbon). E01 is cheap and no-nonsense and works well on generic batteries, a great gift light for non-flashaholics.

LD01 on low mode will have comparable runtime to E01.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 is more of a flashaholic light, with its 3-level UI and its battery demands (use lithium or rechargeable, it will perform a lot worse on alkalines or zinc-carbon). E01 is cheap and no-nonsense and works well on generic batteries, a great gift light for non-flashaholics.

LD01 on low mode will have comparable runtime to E01.

Not true :/. 4 hours vs about 10 for the E01, plus the E01 has a moon mode which gives it over 20 hours total runtime.

source

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not true :/. 4 hours vs about 10 for the E01, plus the E01 has a moon mode which gives it over 20 hours total runtime.

source
+1. This is not the only runtime graph I have seen on the LD01 either unfortunately.

I don't know which I prefer really as they are two very different lights that run off the same battery.

The LD01 has no "low" mode - just slightly less bright than max! :eek:

I like both of them.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have both an I tend towards the LD01 ... BUT ... the three modes are useless as they are almost the same. My biggest gripe with this otherwise not bad light.

The E01 is a no-brainer though. Good light with no learning curve.

I'd say a lot depends on the application. For giving away I'd choose E01 for the KISS factor.

bernie

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have them both.
The E01 is tougher and has a longer runtime.
The LD01 is brighter and looks nicer.

If I could only have 1 I guess the E01 would win. The LD01 would of won if it had a MUCH lower low with an appropriate lengthening of runtime.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I carry the previous generation L0D and E0. These really compliment each other but if I had to choose, it would definitely be the L0D. Multi-stage lights are just more versatile.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You are right body wise but I think the E01 wins in general toughness.

The E01's LED is more shock resistant and has no lens to break. Being lighter means it should survive long drops better too. But I am not going to test it!

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer to drop an E01 than an LD01 SS and not because it is cheaper. I have no doubt the SS finish will hold up much better than the E01's anodizing.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LD01 SS and all the different colors of E01's. I'd take the LD01 SS over the E01 any day for a EDC (regular use). For me the E01 is a backup light and not my primary source of illumination.

As far as the LD01 not having my difference between modes, maybe check out the difference in run times:

Three output modes: 27 Lumens (3.5hrs) -> 10 Lumens (8.5hrs) -> 80 Lumens (1hrs)

1 hour, 3.5 hours, 8.5 hours. Those are some big differences and I find the difference between high and low very noticeable.

maxray

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Wade totally, and is exactly what I have found. I have an E01 as a backup - but man the SS LD01 just feels so good and solid, and has great versatility. The size is excellent as well, but I always fear I am going to lose it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have the LD01 SS and all the different colors of E01's. I'd take the LD01 SS over the E01 any day for a EDC (regular use). For me the E01 is a backup light and not my primary source of illumination.

As far as the LD01 not having my difference between modes, maybe check out the difference in run times:

Three output modes: 27 Lumens (3.5hrs) -> 10 Lumens (8.5hrs) -> 80 Lumens (1hrs)

1 hour, 3.5 hours, 8.5 hours. Those are some big differences and I find the difference between high and low very noticeable.

Are you using alkalines? Because I do, and the visual difference of the three levels is negligable, or almost so. Of course a little more brightness greatly reduces runtime as it taxes the boost circuit and the poor battery.
The LD01 could have been a really good light if it weren't for that level spacing.

bernie

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and it's no contest: LD01 FTW! For essentially the same size and form factor (the LD01 is a teensy bit longer than the E01), you get a LOT more light. Brighter, whiter, and with some level selection!

That said, there is no doubt that the simplicity, low cost and buttery smooth twist action of the E01 are charming. All 5 of the LD01s I have tested (4 which were given as gifts) have been harder to turn--not in a bad way, but not as smooth as the E01 and thus much harder to do with 1 hand.

Finally, I completely agree with Sgt. LED that it would be much better if the modes were more distinct on the LD01!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using alkalines? Because I do, and the visual difference of the three levels is negligable, or almost so. Of course a little more brightness greatly reduces runtime as it taxes the boost circuit and the poor battery.
The LD01 could have been a really good light if it weren't for that level spacing.

bernie

I think I have a Energizer lithium 1.5v in my LD01 at the moment. I'm wondering if the high is higher with the lithium than with an alkaline which would result in more of a difference? I'll have to play with an alkaline. :)

There is some PWM, but it's fast enough to where it's hard for me to pick up on. Clearly improved over my LOD's PWM.

I would have probably been happier with the LD01 if it had a much lower low for even more run time, and easy on night adapted eyes. Then the current low as the medium, and then high as high. Oh well, I still think it's a nice light as is. :)