Advise please - Need a folding, cheap, durable, locking, non-tacticool knife.

nutter

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm after a knife to carry in my bag whilst cycling. The one on my multitool is pathetic.

I'm hoping that one of you will be able to suggest a knife which fits my needs.

1. Available in the UK. - I'm in the UK.

2. Cheap - I want something I won't worry about bending or breaking if I need to use it as an improvised tool.

3. Durable - I don't want something which is going to fall apart when I use it. This is in the interests of safety. I don't, however, care if the knife only lasts a year instead of 20.

4. Folding.

5. Locking - I don't want to cut my fingers off.

6. Not tacticool. A colour other than black is preferable. It would be better if the knife looked more at home on a tradesman's belt than between the teeth of a solitary man, dressed in camoflauge, creeping through the jungle. - We have strict knife laws in the UK.

7. A sheepsfoot blade, or other serrated design.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
How about this: http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3869

It's a sheep-foot blade, not at all tacticool and relatively cheap. The steel (H-1) is rust proof, not stainless (stainless can actually rust) so it's maintenance free (apart from having to sharpen it of course).

It's also available without serrations: http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3867
I don't really like serrated edges; but if that's what you want, Spyderco's serrations are the best out there.

nutter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much. I appreciate your advice. However, only a wuss would carry a knife like that. As such, I shall be purchasing this one instead:

KB1271.jpg

Just Kidding :) It looks great. I wanted a serrated edge because sometimes the things I need to cut through are a little tough (such as a wire cable) and sawing is in order.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
ka-bar dozier is relatively cheap at $19US. It's made of Aus-8 steel so is decent enough. Buck 'bantam' knives are made of 420HC wich I've read is better than the AUS-8 and the buck knives are cheaper so may be a better deal.

You can check out the spyderco byrd series...
Can't post links because at work and these sites are blocked.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The problem is, you want a locking folding knife; for use in the UK ??

That's going to be tough right there. Non-locking wouldn't be an issue. A Victorinox or Wenger Swiss Army Knife would be a better idea. As long as you don't use them for any heavy-duty cutting chores, or don't apply pressure to the spin of the blade; you shouldn't worry too much about cutting into your own fingers.

Perhaps a better quality multi-tool or a very short fixed-blade carried in a leather pouch would be good alternatives.

carrot

Flashaholic
You can carry and use a locking knife in the UK as long as you have a valid excuse. I assume the OP has already thought about this.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You can carry and use a locking knife in the UK as long as you have a valid excuse. I assume the OP has already thought about this.

Problem is, the vaild reason is based on what an LEO decides is a valid reason. If the OP gets stopped for a traffic infraction while cycling, and his knife is discovered; he has to convince the officer he has a vaild reason for having it on him....

We're talking about a part of the world where a newspaper vendor was taken into custody for having two folding knives on him. His valid reason was that he used them on a daily basis to cut newspaper bundles free from the cords that held them together. His reason for having two?.... They were cheap knives and the first usually went dull before he was done with the bundles.

Sounds like a vaild reason to me. The officer didn't think so.

It would be tough to convince an LEO in the UK that a knife is needed, while cycling.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is, the vaild reason is based on what an LEO decides is a valid reason. If the OP gets stopped for a traffic infraction while cycling, and his knife is discovered; he has to convince the officer he has a vaild reason for having it on him....
And I thought Kalifornia was bad!

I was going to suggest a Kershaw Ken Onion/Centofante (I have one, 1610BLK is the model number) but the self-opening nature of it would probably be enough for them to throw you in jail for it. This is the knife that I carry with me when I ride my bike. It's a liner-lock with the aforementioned self-opening feature (you start to open it then the spring-loaded mechanism does the rest), and has a 2" long sheep's foot blade.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
The Cold Steel Pocket Bushman might be a possibility. It's inexpensive, simple and locks with an innovative and strong compression lock. It has no thumb hole or thumb stud and requires two hands to open.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd consider one of the basic SAK's. They would be very serviceable and the screwdriver functions should hopefully satisfy a LEO that they are for emergency bike work!!!

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Victorinox makes both locking and non locking, cheap and well made. Should be available in UK.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
Vioctorinox Fireman . Locking , non tacticool , has both a serated and plain blade plus caplifter an can opener . Victorinox one handed trekker or plain trekker are also worth a look .

Chris

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco Cricket, it is small and unobtrusive, locks, durable, can be had with a serrated or non serrated blade, and is relatively cheap. If it has to be it can be extremely wicked in self defense also but it hardly looks to be. I cut thru 4 layers of leather with one slash just to test its cutting ability.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
+1 on Spyderco, especially the all-steel models. The Navigator, for example, is tiny, but it's very secure in the hands because of grip shape, and I trust an all-stainless knife to be pretty darned durable. It's definitely not "tactical," but it could be used for many different tasks.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are my daily carry blades, most have beaten out blades much more expensive, to get in my pockets. Other blades have replaced each for a short time, but these always come back. The Cricket is the bottom blade, it cuts better than most blades many times larger and more expensive yet slips into the change pocket of my jeans where it stays every day.

cb36cc6d.jpg

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
The following link might be of some nterest:

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=catalog&page=9&category_id=knives

ref: in particular the Magnum LST Jr., about $20 US, small and light. The only thing is it only comes in black that I'm aware of. If that's not a show stopper, it's a nice tool to have, tough as nails, and if you loose it or break it, you haven't lost a fortune. I carry one (the standard blade,not the serated) and it's always handy, fits in my pocket with my change, keys and EO1, is a snap to sharpen, takes two hands to open (not threatening at all) and holds an edge really well. Made in Portland, Oregon as well, not China, as so many of the Gerber knives are. :twothumbs

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Kidding :) It looks great. I wanted a serrated edge because sometimes the things I need to cut through are a little tough (such as a wire cable) and sawing is in order.

No knife is going to cut through steel wire cable without damage serrated or not, use your MT for that.