Recommend me a LED dropin for D size maglite

littlejohnle

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,Ive been looking at D size led dropins for the mag but I cannot find a product that suits me unless I decide to actually do the mods myself.What Im after is a LED dropin that is:1. more throwy than flood2. Decent light output. 900lms?3. Have different settings for light output and regulated eg. low/mid/high 4. All ready to go or very little modding required.5. will work with upto 8.4V as my battery of choice is 2 D lionsThe dropins I have researh so far are terralux 300m, maglite dropins, nite-ize dropin, malkoff P4 dropin.These so far I have rejected due to not meeting some of my criteria above. If I had to compromise, im thinking about the Malkoff P4 because its got good reviews from others on this forum. It only lacks the feature to pick different outputs for runtime vs brightness.Does anybody know of a dropin that meets some or all of my criteria?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know of any D-size Mag dropins that is multiple modes without doing a completely custom mod.

+1 I agree with Marduke

The best "off the shelf" dropin for a Mag is the Malkoff which uses a P4
emitter .... with a smooth reflector, it does throw well. But it is only one
level.
900 lms ... only a multi-die emitter can produce that kind of light and they
tend to be more floody type beams. As Marduke said, go the custom route
and have a light build to your requirements

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For everything you want, you would have to mod the light yourself.

A quad die LED might have similar throw as a single die LED with the same reflector but that would be because of the amount of light. A single die LED will have a more "spotlight" like beam.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The malkoff dropins supposedly last 6 hours at full brightness, so there isn't as much need for a lower brightness level for added runtime (unless you need less light for a situation).