Surefire KL1 head

gsxrac

Enlightened
I have the oportunity to purchase a slightly used E1E that also includes a KL1 LED conversion head at a reasonable price ($65) but cant find any info for the KL1 (max lumens/ runtime) on the SF website. Can anybody tell me anything about the KL1?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod host. Getting it open is the hardest part. Seoul emitter w McR20 totally transforms this head. I think it takes up to 9v input. I don't recall the output, around 50 lumens for the newer style head I think. Don't see em for sale much anymore.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There were several versions of the KL1 over the years. We'll need a photo or two to help identify it, before being able to tell you about it's specs.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hmm hadnt even thought about modding it yet? Well Ive done a decent amount of electronics work but Id need some pretty detailed instructions (which im sure I could find on CPF) on how to do any actual LED swapping.
And I went ahead and bought it since ive been dying for an E1E so my GF will quit bugging me about having my "HUGE" M20 as an EDC lol. but here is the link!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250355491385

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's one of the first ones, that means it will not be nearly as bright as the new leds out there. The KL1 in that photo I believe was spec'd at 17 lumens. The one I had was pushing probably close to 25 lumens. So it's brighter than the original E1e lamp, and it runs for a pretty good while but since it's an old luxeon star emitter it won't compare to a modern day cree XR-E.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Here's a quesiton - I have a first gen KL1, with the fins. I don't care how bright it is because I want to hire a modder to change the LED. Now, is there anything different between the Surefire LED heads that would make one better than the other in strictly a modder's point of view. For example, the way the emitter is mounted, the driver (or lackthereof), etc.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I talked to DarkZero a while back and he said he was no longer modding the old KL1's. Now Milky on the other hand still is (I think) But good louck getting ahold of him, thats why my KL1 is still stock and in my GF's purse ;) It is a nice head though and great for walking around the house at night orr out to the garage or any kind of work where you only need to see 20ish feet or so. Not to mention the runtime is pretty nice too.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from the older LED and the general look of the bezel, the original (ver1) of the KL1 did not drive the LED as hard as some of the later versions.

I think CM use to mod these and could change the current being pushed.

Oh, and I'm still using my Seoul'ed one all the time. :p

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would appear to be the very first generation KL1.

I have a guide to takeapart on the first 2 generations of KL1. What I don't show is the technique for stacking surface mount resistors to increase the drive current from the nominal 350mA. I tried stacking, and got very little increase in brightness for the decrease in runtime. I ended up putting Seoul P4s in my KL1s with Khatod 17 reflectors and called it good. My guess is this is good for about 40-50 lumens, so it's still very usable. I have Aleph single RCR123 tubes and added McE2S 2 stage tails.

The LED swap is relatively easy. Replacing the optic for the reflector is just a drop-in. Photonfanatic supplied both to me.

PM me for a 5MB photo guide to opening the original KL1 head.

Last edited:

9x23

Enlightened
That would appear to be the very first generation KL1.

I have a guide to takeapart on the first 2 generations of KL1. What I don't show is the technique for stacking surface mount resistors to increase the drive current from the nominal 350mA. I tried stacking, and got very little increase in brightness for the decrease in runtime. I ended up putting Seoul P4s in my KL1s with Khatod 17 reflectors and called it good. My guess is this is good for about 40-50 lumens, so it's still very usable. I have Aleph single RCR123 tubes and added McE2S 2 stage tails.

The LED swap is relatively easy. Replacing the optic for the reflector is just a drop-in. Photonfanatic supplied both to me.

My guide:
http://www.zipcon.net/~louie32/cpf/kl1/kl1apart.html

louie,

Thanks for the photos and instructions. I've been struggling with taking the top section of my KL1 off although the bottom unscrewed easily. I've used a hair dryer, boiled it, froze it, baked it, and was about to take a torch to it but might try a heat gun first.

9x23

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
9x23, a couple more things - if you replace the original LED with a Seoul P4, the slug isn't isolated and you can get a short through the bottom. I used a dot of mica from an old transistor mount cut with a hole punch. Also, be careful with the heat gun - most can get too hot. The strap wrenches are the real key.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys thank you so much for the guides...Since now I know the intricancies of the old KL1, they are saved for future moding...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
KL1 has always used a buck/boost circuit, and can be run on 3-9 volts. Very useful when run with one 17670 LiIon. I had one of the original KL1's. CM does good work with the KL1, and could change out the LED, as well as changing the current bias. Contact him.

Bill

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well I talked to DarkZero a while back and he said he was no longer modding the old KL1's.

Hmm, I did? I don't recall. :thinking: I can still mod any KL1, old or new. Only time I turn requests down is if I am not able to do it or if I am overbooked. Sorry if I turned you down for reasons other than those. I can still do it but I won't be able to take on new mod requests until late May. Please send an email to addy in my profile if still interested. :wave:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hey Darkzero! Yea it was a while back and I think you said you didnt have any more reflectors or something? I don't remember? But anyway I gave the E1KL1 to my fiancé and she doesn't need anything insanely bright since she's photosensitive. But if I can scrape up enough funds before the baby comes I may have you mod a new light for me!