Fenix L2D or Ultrafire C3?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I noticed that the Ultrafire C3 5 mode light seems to be pretty much the same as the Fenix L2D. They both use 2AA batteries and both have 5 modes (although I don't know if the UF reaches the same 180 lumen max of the Fenix). The big difference is the much smaller price tag of the Ultrafire. Is there a big difference between these lights that warrants paying 2.5 times as much for the Fenix?

Last edited:

LEDrock

Enlightened
Any idea which of these two would be better? Does anyone here have both?

aussiebob

Enlightened
Get the fenix, if you got the ultrafire chances are it will be dead within a week, speaking from experience here.
Fenix make great lights, never had a problem with any of them.

jake25

Enlightened
I would say, Welcome to CPF, but you're not new.

There is a search function for a reason, just to let you know

I think if you do a search for "worth it", or if you just look at the other thread in this forum you will get your answer.

You get what you pay for.

LEDrock

Enlightened
I would say, Welcome to CPF, but you're not new.

There is a search function for a reason, just to let you know

I think if you do a search for "worth it", or if you just look at the other thread in this forum you will get your answer.

You get what you pay for.

Just tried it and only came up with my own posts.
But according to Aussiebob's post, it looks like the Ultrafire may be a good idea to pass up. I just thought maybe the low price was for a different reason than being inferior quality.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one he11 of a difference between the two, the L2D is better by a long way.

I have the (P4) C3 5-mode and although it seems the individual samples do vary mine was pretty terrible.

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
Eh, the one time I bought a light from DX, it was DOA. They gave me an address to send it to for repairs, sent it in, and I haven't from them since. I say use DX the same way most people use it here for, as a place to buy supplies for modding. But I wouldn't trust their lights.

pustefix8965

Newly Enlightened
I don't have Ultrafire C3 but I have Fenix L1D/L2D, Romisen N3, I3 and Akoray which all uses AA cell. From what I have read Romisen quality is better than Ultrafire in general. From my short experience the Fenixs are better than the budget one in most areas.

Firstly, the beam profile of Fenix is smoother, i.e. the transition from hot spot to spill is more gradual and the spill is brigther. Budget ones have more distinct hot spot and dimmer spill. Secondly, I think having no memory is better than having memory. Imaging switching off your light at the max brightness and switching on when it is pitch dark, it will blind you momentarily. Fenix implementation of always switching on to low mode is better.

Fenix is also know for its efficiency, hence its run time is longer than most other lights. My Akoray has only half the run time of L1D at the same brightness, although it may have something to do with its programmability. Lastly, Fenix build quality is also better and if I need a reliable light I will grab my Fenix instead of the budget ones. However, you might still find some uses for the budget ones e.g. putting in the car glove compartment, etc, so buy both!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a light from DX, but I soon found that I needed a higher quality light from an actual manufacturer. I would chose the fenix over the DX light simply because it is from an actual company with actual support, as opposed to the DX light, which is made by some factory in china behind a generic brand name. The fenix light will be of much higher quality; the threads will probably fit together much better, and batteries may fit more easily. It probably has better regulation as well.
You really do get what you pay for; its your choice of how much quality you really need.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Which would you choose? A $5 2D yellow Energizer contractor light, or a $15 2D MagLite?

They are both 2xD, both a PR2 incan bulb, both carry a spare bulb in the tailcap.

Nearly identical, right?

The same logic can be applied here. In the end, you can choose which suites your needs and budget best.

kenzo

Newly Enlightened
I have both. Fenix is better in every aspect. I generally don't buy from dx unless the light is interesting (recent bought a 1xAA mte with lens) or look like good hosts for moding (ultrafire a10 looks promosing)
Sorry for crappy typing..broqsing cpf on my mobile

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I like DX. I look for lights with features that are not available from more reputable manufacturers yet and are cheap. I play with them for a while, get a new light and give the old one away.

A lot of people have my old flashlights in their glovebox,toolbox or garage. If I carry a flashlight for a month, I really like it.

My new favorite is the Akoray K-106: High, Low and Strobe, 1 AA. It's small, extremely bright and a lot of fun to carry.

With the cheap flashlights, I try to stay with Q5s because of the voltage range. They can take just about anything you throw at them.

Out of the twenty or so Ultrafires I've had, I never had a DOA.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
A friend of mine who liked my lights bought a C3 instead of my recommendation of spending more and getting a Fenix. It was dead two months after he bought it.

I have an L2D-CE and it is a great light! It was my EDC in an L1D form for 1.5 years, I got a new EDC and bought the L2D tube and relegated it to around the house duty, but its still kickin'!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
from everything ive read again and again ultrafire is a completely untrustworthy brand, if you want to go cheap the only one I'd trust is romisen but they dont have multi mode lights.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
my very first ultrafire I bought was doa on arrival and I am still trying to mod and fix it. Stay far away from ultrafire for your sanity

bluesbeat

Newly Enlightened
I got a Fenix L2D Premium Q5 at Xmas and couldn't be happier with it. Don't own an Ultrafire so can't comment on that one. The Fenix quite apart from the brilliant light, just feels well made, everything fits so well.

LEDrock

Enlightened
OK, I guess it's settled then. No Ultrafire for me! Thank you everyone for telling me about your experiences. I've never paid more than $10 for any of the lights I have now, so I figured $18 for the UF would be something really good. I even hear bad stuff about the Coleman 2AA Cree from Walmart, which I had been considering. The feeling I get now is that manufacturers are now cutting back on costs, and therefore, quality in order to stay in business. I just hope things start to turn around soon.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I've never paid more than $10 for any of the lights I have now, so I figured $18 for the UF would be something really good.

Before I found CPF I had never paid more than $20 for a flashlight. Now it seems like I can't pay less than $50, and that's on a good day! :rolleyes:

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have the ultrafire C3 and A1 on order so hopefully in a few days I can add my input. I own a couple Olight T-20's and a Tiablo MA1 which are very well made. I think for folks who enjoy flashlights it's important to buy well made lights as your first and early purchases rather than buy cheaply made and get turned off to the whole experience. While I am hopeful the ultrafire lights will be useable, I don't expect the quality and service of the brand name lights. The comparison between a cheap 2D cell flashlight and a 2D MagLite really hits home. A Maglite is just quality through and through, even though their LED technology is nothing to write home about. Invest in a quality flashlight and get the most out of the experience. Buy from a reputable site such as Batteryjunction.com and get worry free service and some very helpful information from the folks there.